2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

washer popping fuse? *FIXED*

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default washer popping fuse? *FIXED*

I was driving home from work the other night and went to use my wipers and they worked fine. I then went to wash the window and the wipers stopped 1/4 way up the windshield. Come to think of it, no washer fluid came out. Hmmmm, I'll have to check that. Anywho, I pulled over and after a few checks, I found that I fried the fuse. I took it out and replaced it with a spare. I turned the wipers on and they worked. I stsrted driving home again and about 10 minutes later, I tried the washers again and "POP!". There goes another fuse. What could cause that to do that. A frayed wire to the washer fluid pump maybe cause no fluid came out of the nozzles. I'm gonna check a few things next time I get a chance. For now, no washing my windshield with the washer fluid. I need my wipers cause it rains on and off here and you never know.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: washer popping fuse?

*Moved to Gen Tech - 2nd Gen Tech*

Have you tried to disconnect the washer motor and see if it still pops the fuse?

Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Hahaha, I forgot about this until I went to go and use the washer tonight and popped the fuse. Doh! The fuse doesn't pop when I use the rear washer, just the front. The wipers work fine until I try the washer, then pop! Where is the washer motor?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Washer pumps are located on you w/washer bottle in the eng compartment.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 AM

That's what i thought. Just wanted to make sure. What on the pump would cause this to happen. The washer works fine on the back window though. When the fuse pops, the wipers don't work at all. Well, the fronts don't. I had to pull over this morning and use a bottle of water to wash my windows off.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Default RE: washer popping fuse? *FIXED*

still can't find out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 PM

I found the problem and fixed it. The heat shield was resting on the wires and had stripped some of the insulation off and exposed the wire. I replaced the wire and routed them away from the heat shield and they work great now.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed! Wiring problems are never any fun.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Glad you got it fixed, it must feel food to stick with it til you get the problem resolved.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

It is often the case where the weirdest problems are caused by the simplest of failures (exposed wire), but the devil is in finding that darn thing. Electrical problems are always buggers to find. Glad you got it resolved.

In a similar vein, one of my guys was complaining that his company truck "Chevy Silverado" was acting up electrically. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't pinpoint the problem (intermittant thing). They finally found that a little critter had taken up residence in the under hood fuse box and chewed off enough wire insulation on a couple wires to causing intermittant shorting caused by road vibration. An eviction notice and a little cutting and pasting and he was back in business ($475.00 dollars later).