2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Water in Throttle body and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water in Throttle body and exhaust

I finally have this thing working (4x4 issues still but all good other than that) and I have a new issue.

I noticed the heat being a little spotty the other day and decided to change the stat and do a flush and fill. Man, this thing was funky inside the radiator. Took a while to get it all out. Anyway, after the flush and fill I was running it to get the air out and finish the fill. I noticed moisture in the exhaust. Let it run for a bit and it cleared up and the heat was stellar. It ran right below the middle mark. 195 or so I would say.

I was driving to work and noticed a miss starting to happen. By the time I got home that day it was running like crap. I took today off to take a look. The TB and tube had nice brown wet goop in it. I had to scrub it to get it out. Looked like wet oil. I thought great, head gasket. So I pulled the plugs, (that is really fun on the drivers side) and none are wet.They all smell like gas and are fouled but no brown or coolant smell. The oil looks a little gooey but it is only barely over the full mark. Does this sound like a head or intake gasket. I am going to pick up a compression tester to check out the cylinder pressure. That should tell me a little. Any ideas? I really do not want to pull the heads off of this thing. I just got it 3 weeks ago.

I will follow up with compression readings

Thanks guys

Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Water in Throttle body and exhaust

It is most probable that the flush loosened up some junk in the system that was sealing a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Run the compression test, then run a cooling system pressure test to confirm you have a leak.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:33 PM

Well, I went ahead and pulled the intake. That was fun.

The intake lifted right off. There was no adhesion at all. The gasket was in pieces. The gasket section for the front two water ports was hanging off of the intake when I lifted it out. The oil is like a milk shake. All in all it appears that the gasket has been bad for a while and someone put stop leak in it to mask it. When I flushed the system and refilled it with coolant, I must have washed it all out.

It is going to take a while to get this water out of the oil. I am praying now that this did not damage the bottom end of the engine.

Any idea on what to use to wash this out? I will flush it with oil, but any thing else? I will have to change the oil again after it runs a bit. Heck, I may change it a few time over the next couple of weeks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12798/396A2A7EF6424D778B0579BC15EF6705.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12798/22184F652F5D4D0795539B7CCA60CB49.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my...

I would wipe up what you can from inside there and then run a few quarts of the cheapest oil you can buy down through the rest of the engine with the drain removed. Just make sure you have a large enough container under it so you do not over flow it.

Then change it again 100 or so miles after the repair. Take note of how the oil looks at that oil change and you should be good.

Get the new Felpro gaskets with the metal frame.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Oh my indeed. I have run 5 qts through the engine and it is coming out clean now. I have the intake back on and will finish buttoning it up tomorrow. I will post back. Do we think the bottom will be ok?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Administrator

If you did not run it long like that, it should be fine. Watch your oil pressure closely on the first start up. If it is low, you may be looking at a rebuild. You could drop the pan and replace all of the main & rod bearings without pulling everything else apart, but that is difficult to make sure everything is in the proper alignment and that you do not mess up some of the bearings.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM

All I can say is KNOCK KNOCK ...who's there? The bottom is toast.

I drained about 3 gallons of oil water mix and ran 5 qts through it to get the nasty out. IT fired right up and I heard it knocking.

I was told by the dealer that sold it to me that the truck had been taken care of and he knows the guy that owned it before. He had it for four years.

I took the bait.

Not sure where I am going from here. I just got the title Tuesday and I have only had it a little over 3 weeks.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Well that is not good. Sounds like they did a pretty good job on you. Is there any kind of used car warranty imposed by the state which you live in?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles does your truck have on it?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Blzr01Gy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had the same problem with my 96 i was leaking coolant into the intake, the gasket was toasted. I actually lifted the intake off and found a dead squshed moth on the rim. No joke! After the intake gasket was replaced I had a knock. my intake didn't look as bad as yours(wow) but the issue i had was the oil pump. The knock i had was from a spun bearing on the crank. I took the oil pump off and there was bearing shavings everywhere in the collector screen (new motor!) Im not saying thats your issue but if your still hearing it after changing your oil and coolant a few times, could be your head. You check therocker armsfor excessive play?

Quick Reply: Water in Throttle body and exhaust