2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Water in Throttle body and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Water in Throttle body and exhaust

It is the bottom end for sure. I have heard that sound before. You can actually feel it knocking when you rev the engine by hand under the hood. I am sure will all the goo in the pan the oil pump was not supplying any oil to the bearings.

I am checking local laws tomorrow. I will also be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

160K for the mileage. My Ford Windstar that I wrecked had over 208K on it and purred like a cat. I take good care of my vehicles. I depend on them too much.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Blzr01Gy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea because if the oil isn't being pumped through your engine at 100% im sure you know that will cause problmes all over. Yea do what you can with the local laws see what you can do. My 96 purred like a kitten, but it started knocking and through the process of elimination and tear down we decided it was the bottom end too, so we pulled the motor. Dropped a new one in it and sold it. good luck though.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

At 160k miles, I do not know if there will be any imposed warranty, but it does not hurt to check. I was just judging by the year that you may be able to get something.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM

I am sure no warranty applies. The fact that it lasted 3 weeks makes me think he knew there were issues. The 1900 dollar price should have told me something. I am waiting on a reply from him now.

If not i may either rebuild or replace the engine. Heck, I may sell it as is. It is still a nice truck. Would you know I fixed the 4x4 to have this happen.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

In case you change your mind and keep the truck, and need somewhere locating an engine try here; http://www.car-part.com/
You can get anything you need there, just do your homework if buying a motor. I bought 1 with a leaking intake too, but mine was only external (luckily), I bought it as is, but was in a hurry cuz my kid smashed his, So I was too hasty buying it from a CHEVY Dealership too!
Anyway good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks. I was in need as I crashed my van after 27 years of driving and no accidents. I saw it and and was take by her good look and the fact that i needed a replacement pronto skippy.

The retail is still pretty good on this thing. I think if I pick up a used engine, I will go ahead and replace the intake set before this install. Better safe than sorry.

I also thought of buying a crank kit. I have built many SB chevys in the past. This is just 2 less cylinders. I think the rods ends should still be ok.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 AM

trying to decide what to do from here.

I have found some local yards with some low mile engines. that would be the easiest one weekend swap and drive method.

I could also get a crank kit. I'm not sure if I will have the time to do this.

The engine i found sports a 6mo unlimited mileage warranty also.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on how much time you want to spend on it. How much is the motor from the yard and with how many miles?

If you do go with the replacement motor, you may want to swap the intake manifold gaskets prior to dropping the replacement down in. Get the metal framed Felpro gaskets and you should never have the problem again.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM

I do not want to spend much time at all. I need to make this happen soon.

I thought of changing the intake gaskets. It would be easier with it out of the truck. i used the felpro metal gaskets in my broken engine. 20 dollars is a cheap insurance policy.

The one I found had about 90K on it. it is tested and guaranteed. I would still replace the intake, valve cover and oil pan gasket to make sure.

700.00 bucks too. This is a very reputable salvage dealer here.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Whenever rebuilding a motor, the "might as well" items can quickly drive up the cost and time involved. And you do not know the extent of the damage in your bottom end. A relatively low mileage motor will definitely save time and money. Replacing those somewhat problematic, cheap, and "easy to get to with engine on a stand, hard to get to with the engine installed" items is cheap insurance as you have stated.

I would say that the used motor is your best bet. That does not say that you cannot keep your current motor and rebuild it at your leisure, possibly selling it later or using it.

Quick Reply: Water in Throttle body and exhaust