2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Water in Throttle body and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Water in Throttle body and exhaust

Do the oil pumps have a failure rate in these things?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While they can occasionally fail, it is not a common occurrence. It would not hurt to replace it, nor should it break your budget. One that has lasted 90k miles already will probably last just as well as the rest of the motor though and a new one could fail on you right away. It really is a catch-22.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go w/ the used engine, check it out before you drop it in, maybe change the intake gasket before you have it in, (peace of mind) but be sure it's not a milkshake engine !! Check it out before buying it. No matter what they say, You know the history off these with that intake gasket problem due to that DEXCOOL issue, eating away those gaskets.
Best of luck.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM

I am with you. that is whay i am demanding the warranty. While it will not cover labor, it will be replaceable. I will go through it with gaskets and check it all out. Thanks guys. I will post back when i get going on this....

Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: salvy

*snip* that DEXCOOL issue, eating away those gaskets. *snip*
I know I should not bother, but I cannot help it when people like to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). Salvy, you should really read the lengthy Dexcool thread when you have a chance. There is a LOT of good information in there if you can get past your preconceived notions and look at the facts with a clear mind. But that is neither here nor there in this thread so this is the last it will be brought up. If you want to respond in the appropriate thread, feel free to do so, but please do read the entire thread before just spouting off about how GM is the devil and Dexcool is its prophet like so many have done in that thread.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

wait, what's dexcool? i just have some cheap green 50/50 in mine right now

Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Never mind that, LOL. If you want to know more, click on the link in my previous post.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM

My radiator is a little gummy inside. i should flush it good or replace it. I do not want issues with the replacement engine.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I would remove it and fill it with a 20/80 mix of vinegar and water and let it sit over night, then flush it good. It should be clean as a whistle inside after that.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 AM

That will work.

I am trying to get all the details sorted now. I should be on this by next week.

Thanks all.