2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this part in the door called?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Starting Member
RainingBlood is on a distinguished road
Default What is this part in the door called?

OK so I opened my door and it sorta stuck open and with a little force I managed to pull it shut but the spring popped out and the pin fell out. I looked at it the next day in the light and one of the pins/rollers is broken. Bear with me as I try and describe what the hell it is.
There is the little arm/platform that the spring holds tight that the one pin sits on. It is the one that arm rolls against. It is like a pin with a roller on the bottom. That one is snapped right above the roller part. I'm trying to find a picture on the internet since its too dark outside to get one tonight but if I can't I'll post one tomorrow if you cant figure out my rambling.

Also can you just replace this pin or do I have to do the whole thing?

Last edited by RainingBlood; 03-08-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member
devilman414 is on a distinguished road

there may be a listing in the help section at a auto parts store(auto zone etc)
if not you can get the body half of hinge from gm remove roller from new hinge and install in your exsisting hinge (your hinge is welded on).may get new pins and bushings and get pin retainers also. you will need a spring tool to reinstall spring
steck mfg (dayton ohio)makes one pretty resonable. keep them greased up when your done. hope this helps .

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Next time you post a thread you should include the year make model and other stuff like 4x4 2wd, 4 door / 2 door just so that we can help you quicker, [im guessing its a 2nd gen blazer] but if i undersand correctly your upper rolller pin is broken. and beacuse it broke the spring fell out. so you want to replace the pin that the roller is attached to?! If thats the parts thats broken then your going to have to get it welded because its a pain to replace the body side hinge. i would recomed replacing the door pins ( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...uestid=1816841 ).

I also included a pic of a upper door hinge so that you can better explain your situation if im not correct.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3...ohingepins.jpg

Last edited by Ryanmatt135; 03-08-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I figured out your rambling just fine. I loked in the 94 service Manual (don't know what year yours is - you really should say). It looks like an arm or a cam for the roller to ride on. Diesn't mention replacing just that part but you never know what repair parts they have. I doubt you could go to a salvage yard and get it. It looks like you'd destroy it getting it out. You might try a bolt as a substitute for the pin and you might get it to work though. The replacement honges are a bolt in design. The ones that the trucks are produced with are welded in. Replacement hinges are available. I suggest you get a manual of some sort if you're going to change it. Your hinge pins and bushings are probably not far behind.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you're talking about the arm that the spring itself pushes against? and the roller that it rides against has broken off?

i wouldn't go trying to replace the hinge. no matter what, it's never gonna line up 110%. i would just run a nut & bolt through the roller, and use some red Loctite on the threads so it'll stay put.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
bizutch is on a distinguished road

This website shows you exactly how to remove it, but I'm not sold on his method. He cuts out the entire detent roller assembly, not just the roller and pin that holds it in the assembly.
http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...r_replace.html

If you look in the picture, the two pieces on the left are what I got from the dealer. I didn't get the whole assembly. I'm trying to figure out what tools I can use to pop the existing pin out. If I can figure that part out, I can pound the new roller pin back in easily.

Here is the link to replacing the hinge pins and bushings. You need to do both the above and this at the same time:
http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...replace_1.html

Any ideas from the mechanics out there now that I've provided a pic?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

Ok, so I did some more digging and I found a great photo article documenting how a guy replaced the detent roller pin without going to the extremes of cutting and re-welding. It was pretty simple. He used a torch to warm it up and popped it out and replaced. FIVE MINUTES worth of work. Not bad!

Here is the link: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186475

It's of a Z28, but it's the identical setup.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad to hear you got 'er fixed.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
glad to hear you got 'er fixed.
FYI,

To anyone thinking it's an easy fix, NO WAY! We wound up at a guys house who does high profile welding. He had to re-create the upper and lower hinge holes as they'd ovalized and bearings wouldn't just "drop" in.
It was roughly 4 hours of serious labor, blow torches, sawzall action and modified drill bits with welded on extensions to bore a new hole.

RIDICULOUS.

Also, the pin/stud that holds the detent roller in is not easy to get out and back in. I now understand why the auto body guy cut the whole pin assembly out and welded a new one in. (We replaced only the pin and detent roller, but should have replaced that whole assembly). It was a nightmare trying to heat it up, pound it out and get the new one in.

We are faced with the passenger side next. I have yet to really do anything for the guy to earn that kind of commitment for a second go round.