2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Whats a good brand fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting about folks views on brand specific items! I have an Airtex in my 97(swapped from my retired 96) and have had no issues. I mentioned the same about other various components(ignition & otherwise) and I have never had a problem! May it be the fuel in different regions? I run E-Tech once a month & marvel oil every tank-maybe thats whats doing it! HMMM...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM
russ1609 is on a distinguished road

I found a fuel pump for about $60 off ebay. it was brand new and comes with a lifetime warranty. I haven't had any problems since.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

step66 & russ1609, consider yourselves lucky and in the minority when it comes to aftermarket parts in these specific applications working as well as the originals. Over my 5+ years here and working on these vehicles for longer than that, the VAST majority of people have problems with aftermarket pumps/ignition components and end up spending good money after bad chasing those problems only to find out later that the 'new' part was faulty. The reason comes down to quality control. Most aftermarket pump manufacturers don't have the QC tight enough and push bad product. Can they produce good product, sure. Reliably, not in my experience.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

Not to argue the point, but I replaced the pump in my '97 at around around 100,000 with an Airtex and I just replaced it in October at 201,000. Put another Airtex in it based on that. I guess I'll find out if that was a good or bad idea soon enough. Although I don't really need the extra practice dropping the tank.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

Running below 1/4 tank of fuel and with dirty fuel filter sees to be a major factor in fuel pump life from BMW's to Chevies. Take away the fuel pump coolant system and bump up the head pressure gets in to physics as was just posted.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:03 PM
russ1609 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
step66 & russ1609, consider yourselves lucky and in the minority when it comes to aftermarket parts in these specific applications working as well as the originals.
I understand that. At that time my money was tight and I needed a cheap fix. The fact that it has a lifetime warranty is why I bought it. If it goes out then I will use that to replace it until I get back on my feet financially then I am going to get the OEM if it goes bad again.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
step66 & russ1609, consider yourselves lucky and in the minority when it comes to aftermarket parts in these specific applications working as well as the originals. .. Most aftermarket pump manufacturers don't have the QC tight enough and push bad product. Can they produce good product, sure. Reliably, not in my experience.
Jeezy-Peezy!

How about Step66 and Russ consider the old saying: Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut, now and then!!!
And it isnt just the QC, it's the Engineering itself
Lemme tell you guys... I'm on record here saying Airtex aint worth taking a chance on in a Blazer.. They make them {pumps themselves} for lower pressure systems.. like Fords. I bought one for my Tbird.. and hope it lasts a year but it has already 'changed its tune' and gotten louder at 4 months and 5000 miles PLUS the fuel sender is crap... and designed that way. works in 1/8 increments.

IOW, you go on a Ford site and you will find the same opinions on that brand. If you have a ford you buy a Motorcraft or Walbro.. If you have a GM you buy Delphi or AC Delco.. PERIOD.
You buy cheap you usually get what you pay for.
I just swapped out Pads and rotors on my Tbird yesterday.. they were 2 years and 15-2000 miles old. TRASHED. Pedal pulse and initial pull when braking from Prev Owner bought all his parts at AZ and you can bet these were the economy rotors and Semi-met pads. Rotors looked at least 4 or 5 years old. I know they arent for a fact.
Originally Posted by [URL="http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1409453&postcount=33"
pettyfog;tccoa[/URL]]..
Today I replaced the Front wheel bearings on the 'Bird:

The PO had installed new pads and rotors from AZ 2 years ago, so they had about 20,000 miles on them. I had hinky pull to the left on braking at speed, Occasioanl wheel shake. I had thought most of the problem was strut bushings but I eliminated that.. so wth??

Here are those rotors.. and Remember, When I first looked at the car last spring, I could tell they had been recently installed.

Front... the face looks fairly ok. I think those are the cheap semi-metallic pads. Sure made LOTS of dust

Now.. the rear face. Note the pitting. This car was NOT parked for any appreciable length of time,, and remember there is none on the front

Also note the severe flake rust in vent area. Why you DONT buy cheap rotors. and especially from AZ

I installed Raybestos Pro Rotors and Ceramic pads from Rockauto.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Rock auto <3

make sure to search rock auto discount on the forum search =)

Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

will blazer pumps be the same as S10 pickup trucks? and what years interchange? i have a 95 S10 pick up with CPI W vin and may get a whole used sending unit. does anyone know?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely not. You could know for sure by running a search for the same year s10 through ACDelco.com's parts catalog and comparing the PNs that are listed. RockAuto.com will give you the cross-reference list as well.