2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wheel hub bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Ok, I got them replaced today. $325 and change for both front wheel bearings, labor, tire rotation and I had them swap out the fuel filter (I bought one at Walmart earlier) while I was there. Alot better than the place I went to last week. Was going to charge over $1200 (yes, one thousand two hundred) for both front bearings alone + labor and said it also needed an alignment, which is extra. Turned out really well. They only took an hour and a half total.
However I am a little concerned because it looks like the brake line that feeds the front left wheel is bent at the fitting where it connects to the bracket which the brake hose connects to. Not losing brake fluid, but it is definitely bent. Serious problem?

Also in other news, someone took out my driver side mirror last Friday in the 5 min I was in the Post Office. I was parked properly and someone hit it and ran. I found the mirror hanging by the wire and called the local police. Temporarily duct taped it together. Fixed it myself today. Not going to pay someone else to do that when I can do it myself.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-02-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
mattd is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that is really cheap. They must have used off brand parts, because even pepboys is 132 each, just for the part. And I think autozone is 150 for timken...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM

The parts were $113 each. The other place that wanted $1200 wanted to charge $534 for EACH TIMKEN bearing.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM

I also got the old ones back. One of the boxes said Dynapak. The other was white, but had the same information on the labels. The old ones were not only rotted, but one had play in it and both made noise when I turned them with my hand. It took a bit of force to move them and they didn't turn smoothly. Also is that brake line anything to worry about? Should I run out and take a pic?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM

This is what I was talking about with that brake line. The pipe itself seems to be bent. It wasn't like that before. Does it mean that it can break if it is bent like that?

If the brake line is bent at the fitting like that, should I have the line replaced or something like that? Please excuse my concern, I just don't want to take a chance on this, which is why I am asking.

P.S.: In the photo in the above post, the reason why the lines are black is because before the snowstorms we had last week, I washed the entire car, the wheelwells and the undercarriage and covered the brake lines, fuel lines and framerails and the crossmembers for the tranny and transfer case in additional coats of black Engine Enamel (oil/gas resistant, 500F rating) to keep the ice melt from the salt trucks from eating away at the truck since I still had classes on those days and I had to 4-wheel through snow to get on campus.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel hub bearing?-brake-line.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-08-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not replied.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 AM

Anyone have any advice on that brake line? Just curious. Not losing brake fluid or anything, but I am concerned because of the bend in it.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

If it's not loosing fluid and the brake fluid flow isn't restricted then there is nothing to worry about.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Beginning Member
ebristol is an unknown quantity at this point

So what are the best wheel bearings out there?

The TIMKENs?

I am averaging about 20k on the between one Duralast and one Value Craft.

And what is the bolt size for the spindle nut? 22mm or 25mm

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-08-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not replied.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't pay to go with the cheap hubs. They wear out way too fast.

Timken's are good as are AC Delco.

Concerning the spindle nut... Neither. A quick search for "spindle+nut+socket" will show you that a 36mm deep well socket is needed.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Beginning Member
ebristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chief59026
If you replace them yourself, make sure that you torque them to the proper torque (I'm not sure what it is off the top of my head) over or undertorquing will cause premature failure.

Larry
Drive axle to hub nut 103 ft.lb

Quick Reply: Wheel hub bearing?