2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is the fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the fuel pump

hi i have a 1999 2 door 4wd blazer. i think my fuel pump went out and wondering where it is.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:01 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

In the gas tank on the drivers side/ rear of the Blazer. You have to remove the gas tank to replace the gas pump.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road

napa wants 380 bucks for a fuel pump anyone have any experience with any online fuel pumps. ive been seeing them go for like a 100 bucks.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Only two brands for your Blazer are worth buying, as it takes so much labor to replace and when needing replacing, will leave you stranded. AC/DELCO and DELPHI. The DELPHI is highly recommended as it has the update on the harness included- the harness is generally identified as what ends up causing the pump to fail prematurely,

Here are RockAuto's part numbers and prices for the pump. Amazon and Ebay often have these exact pumps about $80 less than RockAuto, but be careful on Ebay as they often list a Ac/DELCO or DELPHI part # but are actually selling a substitute.

DELPHI Part # FG0072 {#FG007211B1} MODULAR FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY
2 Door; Module Code SGK $328.79

This seller on Ebay has the DELPHI for $270. This is what I would go with:
NEW DELPHI FUEL PUMP 97 98 99 00 01 BLAZER JIMMY 2 DOOR | eBay

ACDELCO Part # MU1755 {#19177256}
MODULE,F/TNK F/PMP(SENDER & PUMP) 2 DOOR; w/o ROBUST FUEL SYS SENDER(K53) or LOW LUBRICITY FUEL SYS SENDER(K55)$276.79 (double check this part #)

Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
MXer746 is on a distinguished road

Try Marshalls auto parts. www.marshallsautoparts.com They ship UPS

Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Checked out Marshall's, seems they sell used fuel pumps. For the Blazer, a new pump is the only way to go, and make sure it is DELPHI or AC/DELCO. The DELPHIs come with the updates harness, which is the key to reducing the likeliness of another premature failure. The labor to install a fuel pump on a Blazer is big, so you have to do it right when it is replaced, to costly and risky to do it again.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member
MXer746 is on a distinguished road

Yes they are used, but I've used their parts before, and when your on a budget sometimes you do what you have to do. They'll warrenty the part. It's up to the buyer.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Its a bingo of a warranty, hope one gets lucky???? The used part DOES NOT include the updated harness, and the harness is generally identified as the reason for the premature fuel pump failure the fuel pump itself requires the update to connect to the updated harness.

The used warranty does not include the labor costs, or the loss of use costs. Nice idea to recommend a used part, but a used fuel pump on a Blazer is not a good recommendation, even if it is free. The pump installed needs the updated modifications, to which there are no substitutes.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

I replaced an Airtex today with a DELPHI. Got it on amazon for $189. The job is not hard just make sure the tank is low on fuel. Removing the gas lines requires a special tool the doesnt fit on the pump side. Ended up cutting the tool up to make it work. The real catch is the front vent valve. If you dont realize its there and start lowering the tank you break it. On a 99 your screwed - need a new tank. I ended up plugging the front vent because doesnt appear necessary. The shape of the plastic tank on the four door doesnt have a way for vapor to get traped up front. The rear vent is at a high spot. That front vent line is filled with fuel if you fill the tank. The tank will leak if the front vent is damaged.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

These fuel pumps have an electric motor which has brushes, thus they have a finite life time. Typically, they will work just fine right up to the moment the brush stops touching the commutator, and the pump fails. Kind of like brake shoes, they work just fine, till the last bit of material is gone, then screech!

More than brake shoes, the pump is much quite hard to replace.

You would not put used brake shoes on your car, would you?

As for AirTech, Delphi, I'm not convened one is really better than the other. I only wish I could put "TWO" new pumps in my tank so that when one does fail (I said when, not if) I could switch to the other and not be stranded!

Buy a new pump, not a used one.

Also, if you break that front vent on your tank, O'Reilly's has them for $8

Quick Reply: Where is the fuel pump