2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White Smoke

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4. First let me say I had no heat in this vehicle for about 2 months. This month has been terrible for this truck. First the trans cooler lines blew and I had replaced. While getting that done the mechanic told me my intake mainfold was leaking. I had that replaced. The following week the transmission went. I had that rebuilt. Heat came back and all seemed well. Truck has been driving fine for the last week and tonight I am driving and stopped at a light and notice smoke coming from front of car more on passenger side. Not a ton but enough to be worried. I also noticed the temp guage moving past the halfway point. When I started to move again the temp guage dropped a little but not back to where it normally is. Got home with it a little above the halfway point. Opened the hood and definitely saw some coming form back left part of engine (I think). Looked like it was more on the drivers side. I am going to take it back to the shop on Monday but any idea what is going on now. I didn't get to open the radiator since it was still hot but it didn't appear that was where it was coming from although I did lose heat again once this smoke started. It wasn't totally gone but not as strong as it has been.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like intake gasket may be leaking coolant. Did you see any coolant along the top of valve cover and lower intake. Once on my 99 4.3 w/90k on it when i changed that damn dex-cool out and replaced rad. cap then like month later water pump leaked then seemed like a month or two later intake leaked coolant. I think i changed coolant like 3 times in 3 months. Sometimes it seems like I opened up a can of worms. After all that ran Prestone Extended Life coolant (green) and didnt have any problems. I changed fluid every 3 yrs and added bars leak every time. I sold my 99 with 190k and it had no coolant leak problem. Oh yeah when i had that dexcool in I had to back flush my heater core like every year. That all changed when i got rid of the dexcool (Orange Junk).

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point

So today I get up this morning. Coolant is in the reservoir at the correct location. Temp still riding the 210 mark little above when stopped drops back down when driving. I checked radiator and I cant really see if Fluid is in there. Could fluid be at the correct mark in the reservior but low in the radiator? Heat seems to come in while I am driving but disapates when stopped and its mild heat nothing strong at all.

No white smoking though (Crossing my fingers). Drove it for about an hour which is 40 mintues longer than last night when I noticed the smoke and today nothing.

This truck is starting to drive me nuts.