2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Who makes "Good" aftermarket CV axles 97-04 Blazer 4x4 LT??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Satchmoeddie is on a distinguished road
Default Who makes "Good" aftermarket CV axles 97-04 Blazer 4x4 LT??

Some moron backed into my father's old S10 Blazer LT and bent the frame pockets where the control arms go in, and I also want (need) to replace the CV axle assembly while it's apart as I believe the axle shaft is bent. Are there any aftermarket CV axle parts made that will last another 100,000 miles 200,000? This 1999 Blazer only has 94,000 miles on it. The idiot who backed into me claimed "his backup camera gave him the right of way", and his insurance actually tried to back that claim up, until I told them, "I want a judge and or jury to decided on that one", so they came back with the 80%/20% claiming I was speeding, and same deal, ARS § 28-707 speed greater than reasonable to determine liability the plaintiff has the burden of proof, so "Take me to court again and prove it!". I am sending them another "Take me to court or I will take you to court letter." My research shows Blazers with maintenance records with under 100K miles sell for more money. So now it's time for to hand them the damage assessments and I will eventually get paid. SO, WHO MAKES FRONT CV AXLES SHAFTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY WORTH BUYING??? I cannot find AC Delco CV axles for the passenger side anywhere anymore, but I would gladly pay the $500+ for that 200,000+ mile part. SO WHO HAS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH WHICH AFTERMARKET CV SHAFTS? The frame? The control arm pockets are knocked back about 1/16 of an inch, so that's not a huge deal. It makes the tire sit 1 1/4 inches farther to the rear. If anyone insured by The General hits you and there are no witnesses around .......

Old 10-12-2019, 04:45 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

IMO If you got 94k out of org CV joints you did well - hit and miss with remans or even new replacements even if you did find the over priced AC Delco.
And the chances of +100k is nill.
The frame being bent - tire being 1,1/4" rearword IS A HUGE deal.
Frame is prob tweeked and weak in places way worse than you think. You also may have that whole side of the frame shoved back.
Damage costs will be above valuation of vehicle and it will be considered totaled by the insurance company - You may get the option of a buy back, at that point it will have a salvage title - valuation at that point will be low.
IMO again - If you keep the vehicle you best option will be a replacement frame or a see if a qualified frame shop can straighten it.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I tried to look a few years ago and could not find any CV aftermarket axles that were heavy-duty etc. I saw that you can get them from other SUVs; e.g. 4-Runners, Jeeps.

Last year, I was desperate and got some axle at O'Reilly's because the inner boot on the original had slipped off and was intimidated by replacing it. But then, I couldn't get the new one into the differential body on the driver's side. Ugh. I then rethought the whole thing and saw that NAPA had boot kits. Turned out it was not so hard to replace the boot, at least for the inner one I had to replace. If I ever take out the axles on either side I'll do the rest of the boots.

This doesn't help you directly except that I couldn't find high-quality axles either.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Satchmoeddie is on a distinguished road

The axles that "were" on it and are on it NOW had NO play no vibration, and never had even a single boot leak, and this truck has been used to go from Phoenix to Denver and Sheridan Wyoming & Montana in the winter time, so it does sit around a lot, but it has gone from 122 degrees to -22 degrees. I am hoping the that wheel that is shoved back is just the bushings getting smashed and the camber bolts being spun a little & the steering tie rods being bent. The totaled value of that truck absolutely makes me sick. I CANNOT find any Blazers locally with less than 170,000 miles on them, and the one I did find must have been driven by a complete and total idiot. My father and I maintained that truck every 3000-5000 miles with Mobil 1, Valvoline Synthetic or Amsoil synthetic, red & tacky grease for chassis lube, std Dex2 transmission fluid & filters @ 35K, 70K and a B&M pan with cooler @78K, using Valvoline Dex 2 NO FLUSH. So it's nice and pink, and runs cool. The ONLY Blazers I can find with say between 85,000 and 118,800 miles range in the $5,400 average price range, NOT $3200, and then I'd have to flatbed one in from Bumble____ Maryland, or Ohio, or Washington State, or... I can always take my findings to Arizona justice court with those recorded phone calls from "The General". The recorded phone calls are enough to hang them by their *********. I finally found Summit has GM AC Delco RIGHT side CVs for $350 or so, with a 1-3 month back order time. I found the LEFT side NOS GM AC Delco CV axles on eBay for $196 minus the oil seal, and maybe the constant torque nut. I have no problem buying the JUNK GSP shaft taking the nut off and throwing away the new Chinesium $60 trash 12 months 18,0000 miles garbage shaft. I am praying that the frame is not bent. I do see enough newly exposed metal around the bushings to indicate maybe bent steering components, and maybe mashed down OLD hardened bushing rubber. I was ready with rebuilt lowers to replace bushings & ball joints on the lower control arms, and have TWO remanned arms that I did myself with Moog parts. What kind of a MORON backs out of a parking place that fast and hard? I went back to the neurologist today, and my eyes are tracking so slowly, and I am having trouble remembering words so badly that I will be in therapy for a little while too. On Friday September 6th "THE GENERAL" told me "You were speeding. We have the video of the crash and we sent it to your insurance company to view". Then on Monday September 9th they called me back and said, "We sent that video to State Farm and we agree, that you were speeding, quick sign this!" When I called State Farm, they had received the video, but had never discussed liability with "The General" at all, and their opinion was the other driver was 100% at fault", so The General lied to me, and it's all on tape. THEY ARE SCUM! The tapes are going to the state insurance board,for what good that will do. A jury will find them far more entertaining, especially when dealing with a victim who has suffered a traumatic brain injury at the hands of one of their clients. They pulled this crap twice! Once with the medical and once with the property adjuster, and the "WE as in State Farm and us find you were at fault. ARS § 28-707 puts the burden of proof of liability on THEM not me, and they backed down at the seven little words "TAKE ME TO COURT AND PROVE IT". Two precursor felonies is enough to ask for treble damages. I know of a good old fashioned 3rd generation frame & unibody shop that goes back to dealing with fleet vehicles from the local police department's cop cars, the main local dairy, the valley's largest asphalt & paving company, the local copper mining companies, etc. If it can be fixed, they can do it. IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF TOO. I could start that truck up and point it up the hill to Flagstaff, summer or winter and never give a second thought to being stranded by any mechanical issues. I rebuilt the cooling system at about 80,000 miles, from a CANADIAN GM AC Delco radiator to the Mexican AC Delco water pump. Yes, they cost 3-5x more but they last. I flushed that engine so well I was peeing coolant into the #1 cylinder, so I had to add some of those AC Delco stop leak tablets, which were OEM with the Vortec engines. GM doesn't cast metal so well lately. The new Blazers suck. The Equinox really sucks! Any vehicle that can't make it from east Flagstaff to west Albuquerque on a single tank of gas is a real turkey.