2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wierd Starting problem (then found a lose cable)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

Driving and looking for an address, stoped the car, turned it off, realized it wasn't the address I was looking for. Then I did the following, I cranked the car, and immediately put it in drive cause I was in a hurry, the car died, I figured I put it in drive too quickly, before the engine was fully running, so I put it in park and tried to start the engine, all the lights turned on, dashboard, interior lights, headlights, turn signal, but the starter doesn't even click.

I thought it could be the relay, so I bought a relay and tested it. Still doesn't start.

Lifted the truck on the passenger side, got under it, found the starter and found a loose thin cable. I really don't know where this cable goes, it looks like it broke off. I held it against the cable that goes to the starter with some pliers and had someone crank it, but starter didn't even click.

So, I'm wondering if you guys know where this cable is supposed to go and how do I check that the starter is getting electricity.

Thank You.

I think I found the culprit. Is the thin cable suppose to go on the other terminal? Check image.

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-12-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a thin wire on that post of the starter. That is what tells the starter solenoid to engage. It shouldn't have just fallen off though...

Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
There should be a thin wire on that post of the starter. That is what tells the starter solenoid to engage. It shouldn't have just fallen off though...

Thanks. You're always helpful.

Would you know the gauge of that wire in order to buy the correct terminal. I would check it, but my car died far away and I'm going tomorrow to fix it, just want to buy the correct crimp type terminal for that cable.