2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Win't idle, hard starting and black smoke at start up!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member
strykerld is on a distinguished road
Default Win't idle, hard starting and black smoke at start up!!

The blazer was running fine and I stopped for lunch last Sunday (I had been driving it all morning with NO ISSUES) and when I was ready to leave it would NOT start. It sounded like it was NOT getting fuel. I held down the gas pedal and it would start but run really crappy and had LOTS of black smoke which NEVER happened before! Also it would NOT idle NO MATTER WHAT I DID!!! I limped it home and it set until today when I got my coder reader in the mail. 1) P0016 cam/crank sensor A bank 1. 2) p0300 Random multi cylinder miss fire. 3) P0442 Evap emission control system leak (small). I changed the crank sensor last month so that may be a old code unless that part failed already. I have known about the random miss fire code for a while and have neglected to try to fix any thing. But when I look up P0442 I see EVERYTHING from a loose or bad gas cap to a leaking gas tank. Would ANY or ALL of these codes cause my problems? Someone mentioned to me that maybe I had a dirty EGR valve but my blazer does NOT have one! I also ordered plugs, wires and coil today. I had installed a complete new dist a few months ago!! I also picked up a 2 part sea foam kit today for the fuel tank and spray for the intake. Please advise and Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-19-2019, 06:16 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

You are flooding, Start out by doing 100% of the fuel pressure test per sticky at the top of the page Don't skip any steps. Most auto parts stores lend the tester.
Rule of thumb with a fuel injected blazer - head lights don't work check fuel pressure - Horn don't work check fuel pressure. Not quite that bad but close .....

Last edited by odat; 09-19-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please do let us know what the results are of your fuel pressure and leak down tests and we'll get you pointed in the right direction for fixing things!

Can your scan tool list fuel trims? That information can also tell us if there are problems with the fuel system that the ECM has been compensating for.

Also, please list your vehicle information for us. If I remember correctly from another thread, you have a 2003.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

2003 Blazer 2 wheel drive LS! No my scanner is a cheap one!! i am picking up the fuel pressure tested later today on in the morning! THANKS again!!!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member

This is what i did. This morning I tested the fuel pressure. First I bleed it at the schrader valve and NOTHING! 1) key on run = 20 psi. 2)Leaked down to o psi in 3 minutes.3) At idle it had 58 PSI. Increased idle to 2500 and the pressure was still 58 psi. 5) On quick revs it had 65 psi. Also I guess I'm crazy but I didn't realize that the regulator was INSIDE the intake. So if it is the regulator or the fuel pump I can NOT fix it here do to rules of my retirement community. they only allow minor work. So what do you guys think?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your leakdown is crazy high and key-on pressure is quite low, but it doesn't look like you have provided all of the values specified in the Fuel System Diagnosis Tech Article which will help pinpoint the source of the problem. Either way, if you cannot replace the spider or the pump due to restrictions of your community, it sounds like you are looking for someplace to do the work at.