2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wipers not working sumtimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM
lazerblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wipers not working sumtimes

somtimesthey work somtimes they dont
somtimes they cut off in the middle of working and just stop for no apparnt reason then work
help i am most died in the rain from this what is it what could i do?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: wipers not working sumtimes

mine did that same exact thing except no matter what speed you put them at they were always the same, luckily mine never seemed to cause any problems when it was raining...

i ended up having to buy that whole lever and that fixed it. i dont know how much it cost though, my dad bought it

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the lever, could be the solder joints in the wiper motor circuit board.

Fix for cold solders in the Wiper Motor

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point

Replace the motor, 9 out of 10 times it is the problem. Any parts store will stock it, not a hard job.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member
hilsenteger is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the past weekend, I would set the wipers on the lowest delay, and they would go for about one or two wipes, and then they would start going all the time, and I couldn't shut them off!! (Sounds like the reverse problem you were having!!)

After it dried out for a couple of days, they seem to be working properly again- my guess is that possibly the increased humidity did a number on the switch in the combo switch. On Rockauto, that switch is worth about $118.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
CanadaBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue and I just fixed it last night. Just follow the instructions through the link that the administrator set-up(thank-you by the way!) If you are mechanically inclined in the slightest bit you shouldn't have a problem- you can plainly seeon the circuit board where thesolder joints are cracked. If you getit apart and the two little flexible metal arms on the circuit board are damaged and worn bad, then you will probably need to replace the entire motor.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
kansas deer is an unknown quantity at this point

my wiring harness going into the wipermotor gets loose,so i put a zip tie around the motor and harness. when therenot working try pushing in on harness

Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If pushing on the harness temporarily fixes the issue, then you have a solder issue with the terminals on the board. See the Solder Fix that I posted above!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
kansas deer is an unknown quantity at this point

hey fire dude, ever had a problem with wipers that woundnt turn off, u think its the prob!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Administrator

If the wipers won't shut off, that is typically a multifunction switch problem. Well that or you have shorted out wires in the harness somewhere. By far the most common problem is cold solders on the circuit board.