2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wipers plus blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wipers plus blower problem

So its snowing the other day, typical April in Colorado, and I am driving along with the wipers going and the heater on then all of the sudden I lose both of them. I stop and pull over and open the hood to check all of the fuses in the BCM, but it all starts working when I open my hood. I close my hood, and nothing they stop working again, so I pop it open again and it starts working. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

I don't have any loose or pinched wires anywhere and haven't done anything other than the quad headlight mod with a switch which runs where the antenna comes into the passenger compartment, and all the fuses are okay.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a first... There should be nothing tying the opening of the hood to the operation of the wipers/heater...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
brcidd is an unknown quantity at this point

blower motor is on one circuit on ignition switch, wipers are on accessory, another circuit- along with radio- (does radio also go inop at same time as wipers?) so slamming hood may have jarred ignition switch contacts- you may have a failing ignition switch...

Old 04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
CodFos is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I know about the hood part, it wouldn't make any sense to have anything connected through the hood anyway.

The radio works fine any time, and I never have problems starting the vehicle except when its ridiculously cold. Looking through some paper work I had from the previous owner, I found the records of the remote starter the previous owner installed then "quit working." I remember that I find out that half the wire harness was missing when I tried to reinstall it. I didn't mess with anything for that except trace wires back to check the diagram and there are ones in the ignition switch, could that be where the problem lies? I guess I'll take it apart and look to see the damage where the splice clips are on the actual switch.