2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Won't start, already replaced fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
GotYoNacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Won't start, already replaced fuel pump

I have a 95 Blazer that wouldn't start. After checking all the fuses and relays, I found I was getting voltage at the fuel pump, but the fuel pump was not pumping fuel. I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. I was then able to start the car and it ran for 30 seconds fine. Then it just cut off - no sputtering or hesitation, just cut off like I turned it off. Now it is doing the same thing it was before I replaced the pump - cranking but never catching. No blown fuses or anything.

Anyone have any suggestions ? I'm at a loss with this thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Won't start, already replaced fuel pump

Did you do the standard fuel pressure test prior to and after changing the pump? If so, what are the numbers?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you remove the fuel pump relay and jumper such that you force the pump on, does it run?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 AM

I will have to get ahold of a fuel pressure tester again, but before I wasn't getting any pressure up front.

I will try to remove the fuel pump relay and jump it today. I'll do a search to find what pins I need to connect

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wont start, already replaced fuel pump

The relay should have a diagram on it. Just have a look there for the switched connection. Connect those two pins together. If I remember correctly, it is something like pin 30 to pin 87...

Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM

I just got in. I tried to bypass the pins at the fuel pump relay, still could not hear the pump coming on and the blazer wouldn't start. I'm still trying to get my hands on a fuel pressure tester. None of the auto stores carry rentals.

I probably won't be able to mess with it again until this weekend. I'm going to try the test wire in the engine bay directly to the battery and see if the pump comes on then.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

If jumping the relay did not turn on the pump, the pump is likely bad. The next step would be to test for voltage at the fuel pump assembly. If you have voltage there, then your pump is bad.