2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Woops. Drove into 2 Feet of Snow and got stuck, Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Woops. Drove into 2 Feet of Snow and got stuck, Damage?

I was driving around this weekend during a houseparty out of the central city, And there was an area that appeared to have less snow than it actually did...

It had a layer of ice at the bottom and was pretty deep, got stuck about half way through to the main roadway. 4X4 didnt help at all as it was snow from a blizzard a week or so back, And was compacted/heavy wet snow.

It was all the way up to the bottom of the car, And I had to dig myself out - I made sure not to spin the tires very much, But it did happen for a few minutes - I didnt rock the vehicle very much either.

I ended up having a Semi truck hook a chain up to my Hitch and pulled me out while I was in reverse giving liberal gas.

After inspecting where my car was stuck found a couple fairly decent sized clumps of "Grease" which I presume came from the corners of the front wheel component,

I am wondering if I should have anything checked out after this? Or if I could have done any damage to any parts under the vehicle while stuck in this deep snow, possibly transfer case or transmission? or damage from being pulled out by a chain?

Its a fairily high miles with 340,000KM's on the engine

ended up being stuck in 4x4 lo as well, so I had to take the TCCM out and wiggle the cord back into it so the relay clicked back in and lit up my 4x4 lights again...

Just worried I might have done some serious wear to something... *sigh*

Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

if you are concerned that you may have done some damage then i would jack up the front end so both wheels are off the ground and take a look underneath for any obvious dents or damage also check the tie rod ends, bearings and ball joints for play. also look at your axles make sure ther s not torn boots or other damage that could come into play later on.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Was this grease green? If so, then you likely blew out a CV joint in the process of trying to get un-stuck. Did you turn the wheels to the extremes while in 4wd and spinning the tires?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

In addition to the above mentioned, in the future, when someone is pulling you out leave your tranny in neutral! Nothing worse than pulling someone out and they are spinning their wheels until they finally get traction and coming flying out only to hit the recovery vehicle.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I was really hoping for pictures... also, If you were in water, I would check all fluids to make sure there is no water contamination.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
rsturge is an unknown quantity at this point

have you greesed your ball joints and tie rods lately if so it could have been excess grees falling off. i noticed the same thing last winter while playing in the snow.