2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Zombie Blower Motor Only Works When It's Cold Outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Sand crab is on a distinguished road

Newbie here. Hiyall. I know this has been covered and I read most or all of the posts on those dingdang blowers. But mine is a bit different.
I just bought this really cherry 95 Blazer with only 119,000 miles for way below book. It has A/C but not climate control. The blower worked when I bought it but the car was already running. Postpurchase inspection revealed that the PO had been working on it. So, the blower will only work when it's cold outside and the car is dead cold like on initial startup today. It's 17 degrees here in Montana today. But after the car warms up and you turn it off then it won't come on until the vehicle cools down again.
It's pretty obvious from my pics that the PO just repaced to relays. I noticed the 3rd one laying on wires and hoses just below the relay support brackets. There are four brackets so am I missing something? Which one is actually the blower relay? The relay wires are color coded with green, blue, and tan tape. That tan might have been white at one time. I moved the relays because that first bracket was bent.
Also the PO had cut a hole in the back of the glovebox and this gizmo is there? It seems like it might be missing an additional 3rd componant (relay?).
All the other stuff works so I'm hoping it's not the steering wheel harness. I purchased a blower resistor yesterday and plugged it in but did not install it. The blower was dead at that time and there was no difference. Does the resistor need to be installed in the box to activate motor? So, yesterday afternoon the motor was dead and today it's alive. Zombie motor.

Edit: Pics didn't load. I'll try again.

Let me try that again.

Attached Thumbnails Zombie Blower Motor Only Works When It's Cold Outside-relays1.jpg   Zombie Blower Motor Only Works When It's Cold Outside-glove-box1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
spittybays

Sand crab I have no answer but I to have a 95 and just yesterday my blower started working intermitently and is now dead. Over the years my relays have been moved around. Can you tell me what colors the wires are from the relay in the the engine compartment for the blower and were that resistor is, glovebox? Maybe we can work this together. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Spitty, that resistor is in the engine compartment. It's in my photo with the relays. It's the plug right next to that white thing on the blower box which is that big plastic unit on the left side as you are looking in from the front. It was $19.95 at O'reilly's. I have no clue which relay is which or what those things in my glove box are. Good luck

Spitty: How to on blower and resistor replacement.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...esistor-54553/

Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

has anyone checked the harness going to the blower motor?
i know they are most likely different but my harness on my 99 had dried up and grounded itself. i just rebuilt the end and it is 100% now.
just my two cents

Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Spitty, that white thing that I referred to is actually a nut and washer. I found another thread here which suggest that it might be a sticky blower motor. I found some 30 amp fuses from the PO which is what is on that circuit. CRAP I wanted it to be easy.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...t-blower-7850/

Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM
spittybays

Hey Crab
I used really poor technique. A gave each one of the relays a rap with a screw driver then un-plugged and re-plugged the power harness to the blower and it now works. Unfortunately without doing these one at a time have no idea what it was. Bet it had to due with the harness like Warthog said. If it goes again and I replace it will let you know.

Just read your last post again if PO was popping 30 amp fuses Warthogs rebuild of the plug could be right on the money.

Last edited by spittybays; 01-01-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
Edgtho is an unknown quantity at this point

Those things in the glove box are horn and fuel pump relays, I think.