Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up Discussion Thread

Only problem is instead of working from up top, you're laying on your back when you hook up to the fuel pressure test port. Gasoline doesn't taste all that great![:'(] LOL... I did have my safety glasses on though!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM
bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

The line on the back of my filter is so dang tight I cant get it loose to change it.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Spray some pentrating oil on it, letting it sit for 10 mins, and make sure you are wrenching on it in the correct direction. Good Luck, sometimes those suckers are just rusted a little on the threads and you can't see that part. Thats where the pentrating oil comes in. I would use liquid wrench or PB Blaster, it works wonders.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:40 PM
kdawg55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will this method work for a 2005 chevy trailblazer and can you tell me the location becasue I cannot fine it.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

the 97+ models have the snap on fitting on front side but 96- they have both bolt on ends :-( lol

Old 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM

I am not sure where it is on the trailblazer but the replacement technique should be about the same. The fittings maybe slightly different which is where the advice below would be helpful.

My best advice would be to go to the library or autoparts store. They both would have a chilton or haynes manual for your truck. If you think you are going to work on it a bunch I would go a head and buy it, otherwise you should be able to check it out for a couple weeks.

Good luck and post up if you have questions.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This will not work for a 2005 Trailblazer. The GMT360/370 ('02+ Trailblazer, Bravada, Rainier, Envoy, etc) had external fuel filters until the end of the '04 production run. For 2005 and further, the fuel filter was moved to inside the tank and is not servicable. The filter should not need to be replaced.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone mind telling me where the fuel pump relay is on a first gen? Or how to depressurize it?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know the location of the fuel pump relay in a 97 bravada, they dont have the main fuse panel under the hood. They have a fuse panel when you open the drivers door andI have found a group of 4 relays in the glove compartment, one I know is the headlightsdue to its size. I suspect one of the other 3 is the fuel pump but Iwanted to check if anyone here knows before I go pullingthem one ata time to tell.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM

The relay should still be under the hood somewhere. I am not entirely sure where it is as I have a 98. It should be a relay though and not a fuse and it should look similar to the one circled above. Post up a picture of your engine compartment and we might be able to find it for you that way.

Otherwise the other way to depressurize the system is listed above in the how to post. All you have to do is:
ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

1B Go under the hood and find the Schrader valve located behind the air intake and throttle body (see picture below). Take a flat blade screwdriver and depress the middle portion of the Schrader valve, make sure to catch the gas that will fly out of the valve with a towel or cup. Once the gas stops coming out of the Schrader valve, the fuel pressure has been relieved.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up - DISCUSSION THREAD