Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up Discussion Thread

On a '97, the fuel pump relay will be located behind the glove box. It is the one closest to the driver's side.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:27 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so this is a paint scetch with proportional sizes of the relays in the glove box, Is it the one I circled the largest or the closest to the driver side of the three that are alike?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the large one. That is probably the flasher module. The fuel pump relay would be the next one to the right.

If you have 3 relays, you probably have fog lights.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok on my bravada I removed the gray thing that goes through the relays to hold them in, but it still wont come out is there anyother thing holding the relay in or is it just really snug? Also is it necessary to depressureize the system if it hasnt run for say a day before doing it?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Relays are just really snug, just keep pulling on it. Yes it is nessecary to depressurize, since the fuel system is always pressurized as long as you have gas in it. If you don't want to take the fuel system relay out, just depresurize it on the fuel rail, by depressing the schrader valve up there, see the original write-up and it tells you how to depressurize the system in these 2 fashions. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 PM
rex
rex is an unknown quantity at this point

where is the main fuse block located under the hood

Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Might help if you state the year. Judging from your other post, you have a '95. I do not believe that the '95s had an underhood fuse block. If they did, it would be just behind the air box on the driver side of the engine compartment.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Looking to replace the fuel filter soon, are there are any other (possibly higher flowing) options other than AC Delco?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I think they're pretty much all the same...

You'd never notice a difference on the 4.3, anyway...

Also, a 5/8" wrench will work instead of a 16mm... I don't have a 16mm wrench... Most cheap sets don't come with them, because they're virtually the same as 5/8"

It's actually surprisingly easy to do, as long as your fittings aren't rusted/stuck...

To get the lines off the bracket, I found it easiest, once the fuel line is disconnected (which, btw, my truck STILL had pressure, even after stalling out with the fuel pump relay pulled), slowly twist it straight down, while holding on to the other three lines...

Or press down from above on the filter bracket... Just reach around the frame with your other hand, lol.

Didn't even have to jack it up, put it on blocks, or anything... Just crawled underneath.

Feels like I gained 20 HP! lol.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I suggest someone may want to add this to the DIY.
Anytime you are replacing the fuel filter be sure to either not use a 110 volt shop light or if you do keep it far away from the filter area. If a drop of gasoline should drip or spray onto the bulb the bulb can explode and ignite the gasoline vapors. If even a small amount of gasoline has spilled you can have a big fire.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement How-To-Write Up - DISCUSSION THREAD