Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Quad Beam Mod 2nd Gen - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

I will verify if my DaytimeRunningLights are lowbeams, or not. Also, seems mine is a later 2002.....as I have no EGR valve on front of engine.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:43 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
This will likely result in your low beam bulbs being on all the time so something more involved would need to happen to disable DRL functionality. At least this is a direction for someone with a low beam DRL truck to try out and report back on. If that works out as expected, then we can amend this tutorial to include that information.

On my 04 non ZR2 LS 4x4, grounding the yellow wire did make the quad-mod successful, but it also resulted in the low beams always coming on with ignition no matter day time or night time it seems. It can be overridden with the pushing the dome override button trick, which is just irritating...

Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
On my 04 non ZR2 LS 4x4, grounding the yellow wire did make the quad-mod successful, but it also resulted in the low beams always coming on with ignition no matter day time or night time it seems. It can be overridden with the pushing the dome override button trick, which is just irritating...
To get around this, a relay would need to be used to trigger the ground on the low beam wire only when the high beams are on. Wiring of the relay would depend on the DRL setup. That will have to be developed by someone with each setup.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
To get around this, a relay would need to be used to trigger the ground on the low beam wire only when the high beams are on. Wiring of the relay would depend on the DRL setup. That will have to be developed by someone with each setup.

Short of finding someone with a Tech-2 that will disable the auto lights for me, my next step is in fact to just rewire the lights directly to a set of relay harnesses (one circuit for running lights, one for low beam, one for high beam) from the switch. The second option seems really time consuming and labor intensive, which is why I haven't bothered yet and would rather have someone disable the auto headlight system with a Tech-2 lol

Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Starting Member

Yes, my DRL are lowbeams. There is no difference between what comes on in gear, and turning on my headlights.

In case it's somehow different with a ZR2, I will clarify that after doing my auto headlight disable, the only differences are that my headlights are no longer always on (with key in ON position). They only come on in gear. And, my dash lights no longer turn on automatically.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Starting Member

And, blazen........... why do you want to use a Tech-2, instead of shoving in a 2.2 k ohm resistor?

Old 07-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by TonyZR2
And, blazen........... why do you want to use a Tech-2, instead of shoving in a 2.2 k ohm resistor?

I did the resistor install a while back and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference in my case for whatever reason, so I pulled the resistor out and plugged the sensor back in. Maybe I had a faulty resistor IDK, maybe if I feel spunky one weekend I'll pull the speaker grill back off and try another one. Give me a reason to try out my new 90 degree 1/4 driver adapter

Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Starting Member

Well I'm guessing resistor. Although you don't seem to have your truck info posted (all 2nd Gen. are the same biz?). I have extra resistors, if you want me to just mail you one. I could only buy a bag of 6.

And is that 90 degree a Dewalt?