Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Installing Homelink in your first gen/early second gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Installing Homelink in your first gen/early second gen

Difficulty: 2/10 (10 hardest)

Install at your own risk as this involves a little wiring work.

What you will need:

1. Phillips screwdriver
2. soldering iron and solder (if you want)
3. Shrinkwrap or electrical tape
4. Wire strippers
5. Beer (optional)
6. 30 minutes give or take
7. Homelink module (located in overhead console)

This is for trucks with the overhead console that have the old "garage door opener."

First you will need the module, Get one from a 1998+ truck if possible as it will have the Rolling Code Technology which most newer garage door openers use. You can get one from a Blazer, Jimmy, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, Bravada, Silverado, Sierra, Astro, Safari, S10 & Sonoma (that I know of) with the full console. Grab a length of wiring as well. Older Homelinks without the rolling code technology look the same so make sure of the year first. I got mine from a 2000 Bravada. It will look like this.

Pull your OHC, as I recall, there's one Phillips screw up front and 2 in the dome light you'll see after you remove the lens.

The Homelink module takes the place of your original manual push button garage door opener. This is on my 1995 Olds Silhouette but others are the same.

Pull your old button panel - it just pops out and slip your new one in while pushing the harness through the opening.

Now comes the wiring. The Homelink has 3 wires. 1 power (orange), 1 ground (purple/yellow) and 1 illumination (green). Those are the colors on my Homelink. Yours may have different colors so seek a service manual or online wiring diagram if yours are different colors. I tapped into the dome light power for the orange. Then tapped into the dome light ground for the ground and my van has a power sliding door with lighted switches, so I tapped into that for the illumination. The illumination does not have to be wired in if you don't want.

Now you're ready to put your OHC back in and then program it. The switch panel does hang down a little as the Homelink switch panel is made a little differently, I put some velcro behind mine to keep it up.

Programming instructions:
1. For first-time programming, press and hold the two outside buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Release both buttons.
Note: Some vehicles may require the ignition switch to be turned to the second (or “accessory” ) position during the programming process.

2. Hold the end of your handheld transmitter between 1 and 3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor or overhead console) keeping the indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously push the handheld transmitter button and the desired HomeLink button. DO NOT release the buttons until step 4 has been completed.

4. Hold down both buttons until the indicator light on the HomeLink Universal Transceiver flashes, first slowly then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapidly flashing light indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.) To activate the garage door or other programmed device, press and hold the HomeLink button - releasing when the device begins to activate.

5. To program the remaining two buttons, follow steps 2 through 4.

Rolling Code Programming
Rolling code garage door openers which are “code-protected” and manufactured after 1996 may be determined by the following:
• Reference the garage door opener owner's manual for verification.
• The handheld transmitter appears to program the HomeLink Universal Transceiver but does not activate the garage door.
• Press and hold the trained HomeLink button. The garage door opener has the rolling code feature if the indicator light flashes rapidly and then turns solid after 2 seconds.

To train a garage door with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions (the aid of a second person may make the training quicker and easier):

1. Locate the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener owner's manual or please visit our web site, HomeLink.

2. Press the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activates the “training light”). Note: Following step 2, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 3.

3. Firmly press and release the programmed HomeLink® button. Press and release the HomeLink button a second time to complete the training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time
to complete the training.)

The garage door opener should now recognize the HomeLink Universal Transceiver. The remaining two buttons may now be trained if this has not previously been done. Refer to the Programming portion of this text. The HomeLink Universal Transceiver (once programmed) or the original handheld transmitter may be used to activate the garage door.

In the event that there are still difficulties in programming the HomeLink Universal Transceiver, please visit our web site, HomeLink.