Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

one way to remove frozen shackle bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
g4mbl3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default one way to remove frozen shackle bolts

ok, decided to post this as i couldn't find CRAP looking on google or anything to get the bolts out of the leaf spring bushings.

first try pb blaster. try to get the bolt to spin. if you do get it to spin, check to see if it comes out any. if it spins without doing anything, try hitting the threads while turning with a sledge or hammer of sorts. if still no luck, what i did was went and got a little max propylene torch at home depot for like $60 and burnt the hell out of the bushings and let them burn till i could tap the bolt out. then that leaves you with the outter metal sleeve of the spring eye bushing. get a sawzall and cut through the metal sleeve, be careful though not to screw up the eye. then just wedge it and make it collapse and hammer it out. each vehicle is different, and for mine no joke took like 4 or so days (before work) to get the bolts and bushings out.

make sure to use never-seize or anti-seize on the new bushings and bolts for the future

good luck and hope you dont have too much trouble like i did