Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Mine likes to open on its own =/ it has not done it in awhile tho

Old 04-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Beginning Member
Michaelm053 is on a distinguished road

Ok so I just picked up one of these at the pick and pull and I am going to start the process in a couple of days but I am just a little confused on what I need to re-enforce and how I would get to the spot I need to re-enforce.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

If you haven't read the thread from the beginning, try and do so before installing yours. There are a lot of pictures throughout that will show you how others have gone about installing.

I have mine mounted to just the outer panel but some people drilled through the inner and outer panels in order to attach a brace between the top and lower bolts which is a good idea. I have several, massive 2.5"-3" washers on the inside of the body panel to keep the bolts from tearing through and that's it. I've had mine on for about a year now and don't have any signs of denting or warping in the body and I've never had the latch accidentally open either

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea i think my latch is worn

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
skotti will become famous soon enough

Mine just flew open the other day for the first time. Heard a noise like a small pop, didnt know what it was at the time, but it was it unlatching, turned a corner, 35" tire carries some weight, have a nasty dent now.

Im going to add a tether so itll stopit, if it comes unlatched again.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so I have read through a lot of this and from what I have read a lot of you did not really use much reinforcement except for some washers. I was wondering just to be safe if mine might actually already be reinforced since it is a second gen 2dr and from what I have read those had the option of tire carriers. Either way I still don't see how I get to the area that I would need to reinforce. Mine is an 01 s10 2dr

Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

The only bolts you can reinforce (easily and without cutting) are the ones closest to the door so the first ones. Atleast thats how it is on the 4dr blazers. i would think its the same on the 2dr ones also.

If you dont go through both body panels then the easiest way to get access to the hidden bolts is with a 2" hole saw. its cleaner that way

Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
The only bolts you can reinforce (easily and without cutting) are the ones closest to the door so the first ones. Atleast thats how it is on the 4dr blazers. i would think its the same on the 2dr ones also.

If you dont go through both body panels then the easiest way to get access to the hidden bolts is with a 2" hole saw. its cleaner that way
And just use washers to reinforce the front 2 bolts?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what i did to reinforce is use the 1" stock steel from home depot.
i cut it to length so it rested on the bed then connected both upper and lower bolts on the hinge furthest from tail light.

i figured it would stabilize the bolts and tie the whole thing together.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
DUDDERS355 is on a distinguished road

I am glad I just read through all of this....I just asked a buddy of mine to price me one from his local yard...I have a 2000 Jimmy SLT...So I have some exterior moldings to contend with but hey thats what a dremel is for huh? Thanks for all the great info in here.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD