Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dimone545
So many of you have swingout carriers in yards by you, I wish I could find one by me. You guys always say that shipping would be crazy expensive. Have any of you ever checked for sure how much it would cost? I think that for the price you can get the carrier it would still be worth it to ship it as oppossed to paying like 600 bucks for all the crap from the dealer.. Even frieght shipping would probably be only like what 60 bucks or something like that? Most of you say you picked up your carriers for something like 40 bucks right?
There's a guy on Craigslist in St. Louis who has a pair of swingout carriers and he wants 20 bucks a piece for them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if he would ship them and find out how much it would cost.

I'm actually going to check some junkyards in my area. Maybe I'll get lucky today

Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Lol i found mine from someone driving around. It was a white bravada with the roof basket and rear tire carrier. And once i saw that i was like i want that! So this girl actually worked with my gf and she talked to her about it and shea lime yea ill sell it. I bought the tire carrier and the roof basket for $180

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

For me... any of the big junkyards are around 2hrs. away. But The weight is what I think would kill the shipping. But I'm sure it's not going to make it outrageous. And of course I forgot to weight mine before I put it on. But it was alot heavier than I thought it was going to be when I unbolted it from the wreck.
And I see no issues of body flex... other than forgetting to latch the carrier properly. I would recommend using the bolt sizes that I listed though. If you use smaller bolts it will not make the carrier as solid. The bolts I used are tight fitting into the original holes in the mounts. Also you don't want to "waller-out" any of the holes. When you do this it gives everything more room to move around and possibly cause problems. I did use a peice of 1/4" flat steel to support the inside panel for the front two bolts. But once you look at it... It's the only place you can add any reinforcement. The middle and back bolts are in tight areas on the inside. And I didn't reinforce anything on my tailgate either. It feels solid when I latch the carrier to it.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran

lol go looking for 2 doors, you'd be surprised at how many people will sell them to you and don't care about the holes in their tail gate and quarter panel

Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Success! I got it for 35 with them removing it. Now I just gotta clean, paint, and get to drilling holes

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

NICE! I'm hoping to get started with mine in the next day or two. If you do the supports any differently than what others have done, be sure and let us know. Like closer said though, the first bolts are really the only ones that seem to be possible to add support.

edit; you did get the striker/latch plate right?

Last edited by mdehoogh; 03-15-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM

Yup, got it all. I was surprised at how heavy it is. They look much lighter in pictures lol.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

welcome to the club.
man 4dr blazers are gonna be coming out of the wood work with this mod.
there are three in my town now counting me.....who knew?

i have to admit i love the look. i think it completes the ride quite nicely.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran

Im still the only 4 door around in my area with one minus the bravada i got it off of. And that thing is still pretty nice with clearance lights, grill gaurd, tail light guards, and 30'' bfg a/t's. Lol not as cool as my bravada or anything. Lol cause i have a 4x4 bravada!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Question. I see where you guys used several washers on the bolts. Couldn't you use shorter bolts with less washers? Also, do I need to pick up /borrow a longer 1/2" bit? I have one, but it's normal length.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD