Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
I started on mine today, didn't finish. Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow. I have to go back to the hardware store and get some shorter bolts. For anyone considering this, I highly recommend recruiting help lol. I have 2 herniated discs in my back and they're letting me know about it right now.
I'm in the same place (except I had two friends hold it in place). Got the first four holes drilled out and the store was closed by the time I was done so hopefully I can get it all finished up tomorrow.

I think for now, I'm just going to use big washers against the inside panel to see how it holds up. If it feels weak or seems like there's a good possibility for damage, then I might drill through the interior wall and add the plate like closer and warthog did.

Last edited by mdehoogh; 03-17-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 AM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

Mine seemed pretty solid with out the flat bar on the inside. It didn't flex or anything... I just put it there for extra insurance because my wife uses my blazer also. So you never know what'll happen. I'd suggest toe put alittle touch up paint around the bare metal where you drillrd the hole before you bolt it on. And also I put black gasket maker silicone between and around the mounts to help keep moisture from getting in.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

I'm using a flat bar for extra support. A guy I went to school with has a fabrication shop a couple blocks from me. I scrounged up a 1/4" x 1 34" bar to use. I'm going to need to cut some better access holes to get to some of the bolts. Also, I had this really good idea to keep from scratching the blazer while wrestling around with the carries. I used masking tape. Unfortunately, I used dollar store masking tape and now it won't come off very easily. It even took a little paint with it
I feel like such a dumbass lol.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

After several hours of cutting out access holes and struggling to get all the appropriate washers and nuts threaded on the inside, I'm stuck trying to come up with a way to tighten everything down.

To use warthog's pic:

The countersunk hole isn't large enough to get a socket around and the heads on the bolts I used don't stick out long enough to get a good grip with a wrench. I know others have used the same type of bolts so it must be possible. Didn't think I'd have a problem on the outside of it... lol

Any ideas how to get at it?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I used a deep well socket and just tapped in on with a hammer

Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

It doesn't take much to hold that end of the bolts. I used an open end wrench. But I used the very end of it to get ahold of the bolt head. Once I got it snug the bolt head stayed tight as I tightened the nuts on the inside. Anoter idea would be to grind a slit with a dremel in the head so that you can hold it with a flat-head screwdriver. It is possible to tighten them though.
And do you understand why I used so many washers now. LOL! It's a PITA to get my hands in those tiny areas to get the nuts on. I used my dremel and cut some of the openings bigger so I could get my hands in there. But even I lost more than a few nuts and washers in the process. I just takes patience.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 AM
BF Veteran

I spent forever getting this thing on and even had to bail on a friends St.Pats day party in hopes of trying to get it done tonight. I got the truck at least drivable so I can make it to work tomorrow morning (I had it hanging with tow straps and barely bolted on). I reversed the two back bolts since they were impossible to try and get washers on.

I never found a good way to really tighten down the four side bolts but the dremel notch sounds like it should work. I didn't drill through both panels so I kept dropping/losing nuts and washers and probably spent a half hour per bolt trying to get everything lined up.

To anyone attempting this, you will need a LOT of patience (small hands would really help as well)

the mostly-finished product:

Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

looks good

Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Looks good man.

I found a way that might help some in getting washers and nuts into very tricky areas. I used a shallow socket and put the nut in it. I taped the washers onto the end of the socket, securely so they won't fall off, but not so secure that I would have trouble getting my socket back then I got the nut started. Worked pretty well for me. In a couple of spots, I had trouble getting the socket and extension lined up to start them on the bolt. I used a large pair of surgical clamps to hold the socket at the angle needed.

I'm still working on mine, I didn't get to work on it yesterday.

Matt, can you do me a favor? Take a picture of how close your carrier comes to the wiper arm. Also, can you take a picture showing how the spare lines up with the blazer? Mine seems like it will be pointing slightly to the left. The Blazer it came off of wasn't wrecked in the rear, and the carries doesn't look bent, so maybe they're all that way?

Last edited by s14sh3r; 03-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
Matt, can you do me a favor? Take a picture of how close your carrier comes to the wiper arm. Also, can you take a picture showing how the spare lines up with the blazer? Mine seems like it will be pointing slightly to the left. The Blazer it came off of wasn't wrecked in the rear, and the carries doesn't look bent, so maybe they're all that way?
Do you have the striker plate or any of the latch mechanism installed? I had everything removed for painting and when I had it strapped up against the truck, the left edge (wrapped in an old shirt so it wouldn't scratch) was resting against the tailgate. It pointed slightly to the left and was resting against the wiper arm.

With the latch and everything installed, the tire seems to be straight and the wiper works. The glass won't open without popping the carrier open about a half inch though which kinda sucks.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD