Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Water Pump Removal & Install - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dagda
The cost of antifreeze was the biggest reason I changed the pump. In the summer I just used filtered water with 20% cheap antifreeze. I don't know how long it would have kept running with leaking pump. As far as expected lifespan for those, my Blazer is a couple hundred miles shy of 250,000, and that's the first thing I've had to change under the hood other than routine maintained (spark plugs etc.) since I bought it in March '07. I don't know if it's the original the casting shows 5077-11 ATF if that means anything to anyone.
250,000? Wow. So these are solid water pumps if that is the original. So you really did have to keep dumping antifreeze into the truck to keep it running.

Now I am glad I have a GM because Lexus wants to replace my mom's water pump at 90 or 100k even though there is no problem with anything on her car but a leaky headlight it and it is a 2008. I guess they have problems with them and/or they want to penalize my mother for their low quality and recalls.

Thanks for the tips. Based on this, I think my pump is fine for now. I will check for a leak later, but since there is no antifreeze on the ground and the levels remain constant, I don't think there is one.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:57 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
250,000? Wow. So these are solid water pumps if that is the original. So you really did have to keep dumping antifreeze into the truck to keep it running.

Now I am glad I have a GM because Lexus wants to replace my mom's water pump at 90 or 100k even though there is no problem with anything on her car but a leaky headlight it and it is a 2008. I guess they have problems with them and/or they want to penalize my mother for their low quality and recalls.

Thanks for the tips. Based on this, I think my pump is fine for now. I will check for a leak later, but since there is no antifreeze on the ground and the levels remain constant, I don't think there is one.
Ok, I found that hole that you were talking about. No coolant dripping out of it. The area ABOVE it looks damp, but below it (the pulleys and other stuff around it) is dry. I got my fingers under there and didn't get any antifreeze on my hands or anything like that.

Now this is a dumb question: If the pump starts leaking from the hole, isn't it possible to plug the hole to stop the leak? Wouldn't that buy time?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Starting Member
vandemark.andrew@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

big problem just changed water pump. and still leaking coolent

Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vandemark.andrew@yahoo.com
big problem just changed water pump. and still leaking coolent
Ok... This is not the appropriate place to ask for help. Please post in the appropriate technical section.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
bluejacket is on a distinguished road

Pulled off the water pump tonight and noticed the the threads on one of the bolts is wet, do the bolts need sealer on the threads?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

Yes liquid pipe thread sealer should be applied to the bolts on re install

Old 11-29-2014, 08:39 PM
ndgrown is on a distinguished road

is the fan nut reverse threads or normal

Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 AM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

The fan is reverse if I remember correctly

Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The fan clutch to water pump is right hand threads. Righty tighty, lefty loosy. 36mm open end wrench.