Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2 audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default 2 audio questions

ok..well i got two questions for you audio guys here..
1)my dash speakers are stock 4x6s that decide when they wanna work,so i was considering just wiring up some cheapo tweeters that i got outta the audio install i had in my cav,in the 4x6s place..has any one tried this and does it sound decent?

2)ok i have a fairly small set up for my subs,2 12" HiFonics Brutus subs and a 600watt crunch amp and 0 guage power wire from the batt( thats bigger than called for in the truck,985 ca/770cca)to the amp and a 0 guage ground wire..now w/ this set up i should be getting no batt drain and dimming yet i am and i was told by a local audio place that i have a bad ground for my amp..my ground is a stud that the back of the back seat bolts to that i scraped all the paint off of and the steel around it so its metal/metal contact..should i make a new ground or do as i was told on my other site and upgrade my alt to batt wires and grounds? help plz

Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 PM
makenzyesdaddy is on a distinguished road

if you just put tweeters up front you'll only have extreme highs no mid range sound at all and that's just gonna sound like poop. as far as the amp grounding problem the amp you have isn't gonna push 600 watts probably only around 250 rms if lucky 0 gauge wire is over kill. i would say that your ground is good if all the paint is gone and it is where the seat is bolted down. i recommend just pullin back the carpet scraping the paint and screwing it down in a good spot out of the way. if your lights are still dimming then try switching out battery before you get a new alternator. swapping out the alternator is for extreme systems. i once put in kicker cvr 15's and a planet audio 2250 watt amp in a 2 door blazer and alternator was never changed we did put in a 2 farad capacitor, if the battery swap doesn't work spend $50 and get a 1farad cap and that should definetly stop the dimmin lights

Last edited by makenzyesdaddy; 01-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sound

The tweeters might not be a good idea. Could be too much high's up front. Maybe just get some 4X6'' 4ways and it will offer a good high and medium tone sound range your looking for. But hey you'll never know if you don't try it. Just a suggestion. As for the ground wire. The shorter and thicker the ground cable the better. I have a 1200 watt rms sub running at exactly 1200rms and with the 0 gauge running every where and short grounds I only get a little bit of dimming in the headlights with 950 amp battery. Did you also upgrade the wire from the alternator to battery? That makes a huge difference. As he said above me test the battery before getting a new alternator,if alternator is good too then just try the capacitor and you should see big improvements.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by speterson1011
The tweeters might not be a good idea. Could be too much high's up front. Maybe just get some 4X6'' 4ways and it will offer a good high and medium tone sound range your looking for. But hey you'll never know if you don't try it. Just a suggestion. As for the ground wire. The shorter and thicker the ground cable the better. I have a 1200 watt rms sub running at exactly 1200rms and with the 0 gauge running every where and short grounds I only get a little bit of dimming in the headlights with 950 amp battery. Did you also upgrade the wire from the alternator to battery? That makes a huge difference. As he said above me test the battery before getting a new alternator,if alternator is good too then just try the capacitor and you should see big improvements.
well i have HiFonics Zues 6.5s on my front doors and some cheapo poineers that were in the rear doors(gonna be swapped w/ a 2nd set of HiFonics 6.5s i have) that provide really good mid and his so idk i figure ive already got the tweeters so i might just try it..and to the guy above you,ik the 0 guage is overkill on this amp but it was free from a friend when he got some new 0 guage wire, so who am i to turn down free ****,plus i'm gonna get a bigger amp and a capacitor at some point so it will come in handy then,and my ground wire is less than 2 ft long,as for upgradeing the wire from the alt to the batt..no i have not done that at all but i wanna fix this issue before i get a new amp and cap,and btw my battery is brand new..like 2 wks old

Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Starting Member
Default sound2

O I see. Throw the tweeters in then. Either way you will hear something. If they are too loud you could even run them through a crossover and put them at a -3db setting so there not as loud. Might level it all out, and you can run it on the tweeter channel on the crossover so it will have that true tweeter sound. If you haven't upgraded the alternator to battery wire that could be your problem. It is very important and needs to be upgraded if you want to pump some juice. Try it and post the results on here you should be happy with that

Last edited by speterson1011; 01-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Starting Member

hmm ok i will prolly just hook the tweeters upto the wires already goin to the 4x6s if i decide to do the tweeter thing and yeah im thinkin i'll upgrade the wire from the alt to the batt when i can pick up a replacement,were about would i find these better wires,i was told b4 that my best bet was a audio shop..that sound right?,tmrw(well today) im gonna check the amp ground to make sure that it is still good and maybe make a new ground to see if it helps with my power issue cuz ik a bad ground can cause issues like mine.hope it works and maybe when i get my taxes back i might get a new 1200watt or bigger amp and see what my subs can really do,ive been told that im not use'n them to 1/2 there potential,as they are 600watts/rms a piece and im not puttin near that to them.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Starting Member
Default sound

I actually got mine at a boatshop they had the terminals and all put together already, most people make their own. Check around online or autostore's. Even just by putting 4gauge wire from alternator to battery will make a big difference. Yah 600rms will be a solid sound. Look at the BAMF mono block amps power acoustik has on ebay. I have the 2000watt one and it can do 1200rms at 1ohm and thats what im currently running at now. you can also do 600watts rms at 4ohm. It has a bunch of different capabilities to wire at different rms and it comes with a bass **** and it's class D amp. Can't go wrong with it

Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Starting Member

ok well today i got around to fixing the ground for my amp(idk wtf i was thinkin makin a ground in that spot),i also eliminated the distribution block and 4gauge wire i had goin to my amp and just ran the 0gauge to the amp and i noticed an immediate improvement,i ran my system for about 20 mins just w/ the truck running at idle and the lights never dimmed and the volt meter never left 15 so i think i fixed that issue as the lights would dim and the volts would drop to 12 just stop'n at stop lights b4..

kool i have alotta boat places around my area that i will have to check out,though i do have some 4gauge wire that i could prolly use.and i will def look up that amp hopefully its affordable and will def be a upgrade from my tiny *** 600watter i got now

Last edited by 97Bravada; 01-19-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Starting Member
Default sound

Awesome, nothing like something working perfect and put together right knowing you did it yourself. lol Good luck finding some wire with the terminals it shouldnt be too hard. Let me know with the results of the new wiring set up