Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2002 blazer radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
kernsy41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 blazer radio problem

ok ladies and gents...this is weird and i would totally love if told me what to do about it. so here goes..

took the old head unit out...bought a new pioneer with an ipod adapter. bought the mounting kit and extended antenna cord. I also bought a 120 dollar wiring harness!!! WTF! and had it hooked up through a buddy at best buy. once it was in, it turned on....but there was no sound. Then the new head unit just shut off. it wont get power at all...so we tried putting the orginal headunit back in and that wouldnt work... and my compass and temp thing stopped working...but when i turn of the battery/car there is alittle flash of power that go across the old screen but it will not turn on at all. I checked all the fuses and all are fine. i dont know what is going on with the car

oh and the reason i put in the new stereo is so that i could have some preouts for my subs---two 10" punch with about 900 watts...she hit nice in the old car...hopefully i can get her goin on this badboy

leave me one if you have any ideas what so ever!

thanks

Kernsy

Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: 2002 blazer radio problem

sounds to me like you got ripped off with a $120 wiring harness. . . you can buy the adapter for the stereo at walmart for like $10. . that may be the problem. It could be the wrong wiring harness, as for the compass and stuff, I can't explain that. . however, I have put stereos in more than a handful of blazers and none have required a $120 harness. . . I believe the adapter you need is a scosche product part number GM05. . . this is approximately $10 plus tax.... the attached link tells you all of the parts you need to put a head unit in your truck. . . the wiring harness you have sounds like the door chime override harness that is for cavaliers and silverados. . you do not need it with a blazer. . . try the wally-world harness (you have to wire it together with the harness coming out of the back of the aftermarket stereo) and I bet it works just fine. . all of my installs have and these include 2001 blazer, 2000 blazer, 2002 blazer, 1986 blazer, 2002 honda prelude, 1991 honda civic, 1986 nissan hardbody, 1982 jeep j-10, and the list goes on. . . . however, i assure there is not a $120 harness needed, I would return it if I were you and try the install yourself.....

the harness should look like this\/

http://www.scosche.com/what_fits.aspx
just enter your vehicle info and viola!

BTW... I hope you didn't hack any on your factory wires, because that is not needed either. . .

Also, check this thread out.... I run a pioneer head unit to two rockford fosgate 10's with 1500watts..... I bought no $120 harness and mine runs like clockwork.... I also installed myself......
https://blazerforum.com/m_42321/tm.htm

Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 PM

you are the man...i actually work at best buy and figured the people back there would know what the hell they are doin...that is ridiculous. The only thing i cut was 120 dollar harness which im takin back...and then im off to walmart..

i did have one problem still...i hooked the original head unit back up but nothing would come out of it...no power no nothing...if theres no way to fix it, where do i take it too? i hope that other harness didnt eff up everything in my baby...i just got her this weekend.

thanks again man...and if anyone has any tips for me...hit me back

kernsy

Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

that other harness may have blown a fuse or something by screwing up the wiring.... it probably didnt mess anything up, thats what the fuses are for, they go before the wiring does... check em and I bet one is blown. . .

Old 10-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

not so fast there guys. Was the radio bose?? there are a number of different codes that require a GMRC-01 harness, a class II radio harness which controls safety chimes and other audio alerts. A great number of Chevy's from 2000 up require that same harness, and the GMRC-0S and others. I need more info to give you the exact harness you need, and we can fix the problem from there. I am an installer, so I'm not lying to you. but you can get the harness off of crutchfield for 79.99

Old 10-12-2006, 02:07 AM

I was not aware there was a bose available in the blazer in 2002. I have never run into that problem. . . I would imagine if it was a bose he would have mentioned it.... however, the blazers and s-10's in 2002 did not run a door chime through the stereo, they were two of the only gm vehicles that didn't. . . . all of the reference charts I have seen for the 2002 blazer do not even list a different harness. . Even the install manuals I have read, don't mention a door chime or complex wiring harness for that truck. I do some minor installing and also have three friends who own stereo installation shops. One is quality audio where I live. . . . The owner drives a blazer and does alot of jobs. . . I will talk to him about it. . . It's not that I don't believe you, i've just never heard it myself or at least not for the s-10's or blazer. . . I've definitely run into it on silverados and cavaliers, and might I add, the door chime provided by the extra wiring kit sounds really stupid...lol

anyways, if that expensive harness IS what he needs, then why does the stereo not work? If it isn't what he needs, that would explain it all. . . i'm just looking for the simplest solution.... gotta try the easy things first. . . however, best buy should know how to install and if it doesnt work, I would make them fix it for free...... if they did the work, they should make it operate correctly... sounds like you need to go back to best buy and demand some decent customer service. . . I woulndn't fool with it.... take the truck to best buy and tell the to get their heads out of their butts and do the job right....

^upon re-reading that, it sounds kinda overbearing.... I'm really not sayin either of us is right or wrong, what you said is just new info to me. . . sorry if it came out the wrong way. . . . . [sm=grin.gif]

Old 10-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Yea this is a bit confusing, but if you go to any site that gives you the installation parts, they ask a bunch of questions, like is the radio double din or din and a half, have bose or not, and have RDS or not. just wanting to get all the info.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM

yeah...its crazy...ive checked all the fuses all over and i cant find a break. I think something got messed up in the wiring somehow. because it will blink the time when i start the car but thats it. this **** is drivin me up a wall. I dont even want to know what it would cost to fix the wiring. Do you think it would help to switch the fuse for the radio anyway? Thanks for all your input so far.

kernsy

Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

first off, I would grab a voltmeter and check the yellow and the red wires behind the cd player. if you are not getting 12v constant at the yellow, check fuses. I think there might be another fuse for the radio under the hood.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:41 PM

hey thanks to all for all your input...it just so happened that the wrong wiring harness messed up some stuff in the car, but i got it all wired up with everything and she is lookin gorgeous...thanks to all

kernsy