Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Add amp to stock Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member
mharrison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Add amp to stock Head Unit

I have a stock CD Player Head Unit in my 2000 Chevy Blazer.

I would like to add an amp to this to install subs in the rear. Does the stock unit have RCA outputs on the rear, or will I have to go with line level installation from the speaker wires? I'm sure I'm not the first person interested in doing this. I appreciate your comments on personal experience.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Add amp to stock Head Unit

i highly doubt the stock HU has pre-outs. im almost positive it doesnt. you will need a LOC, but your better off just getting an aftermarket HU. LOCs seriously lack good sound quality.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I was just wondering. I've got an Alpine that I'm putting in. I KNOW it has several RCA's.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:46 PM

good. alpine makes very nice decks.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member

How do you like the MB Quart PCE-216's ? I've heard differing opinions regarding their clarity. What kind of music do you listen to mainly? I would think that your music taste and placement would make a big difference and yours would be in pretty much the same place as mine.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:09 PM

You either love or hate MB Quart comps. Alot of people dont like the titanium tweeters cause they can be quite ear pierceing. But I, for 1, love them. Unfortunatly they run you about $400 a pair. Of course i got mine used on ebay for $250 a pair. If your not looking to invest that much $$$ into your system, id suggest finding lower end diamond, focal, or CDT comps.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Broncokid is an unknown quantity at this point

i just installed my subs and amp today. Im running stock head unit, stock door speakers, 2 JBL GTO12" subs and an MTX 3002 all in a sealed box. I think im upgrading to a vented box soon because they hit hard and suffacate(sp) alittle. the box and amp was free, can't complain. Im running an RCA converter and im tapped off the right side rear speaker. The thing bumps pretty damn good for its setup right now. Can't wait to get a head unit. Even without sub controls, it still sounds great.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:42 PM

the subs arent suffocating by being sealed. i dont know where you got that from, but its untrue. a ported box can sound better IF you know what your doing. Ported boxes are mainly used for SPL rather than SQ, but it is very possible to make a ported box sound awesome. a word of advice, do NOT buy a prefab ported box. it will be a huge mistake. build your own, or have some1 build you 1. if your going ported, read up on box construction and port tuning before you do anything. a great place to get help on this is caraudio.com message forums. there are tons of pros who will help you and answer any questions you have. good luck.