Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Quality of this unit to allow Apple device (iPhone4S)use with factory head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
SubbinBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Quality of this unit to allow Apple device (iPhone4S)use with factory head unit?

Currently have a Eclipse CD700 and am thinking of going with a processor (RF 3sixty.3 or ARC PS8,) but with my factory head unit. That means I won't be able to hook up my Apple device (iPhone) to listen to music while being able to control it VIA stereo.

I was suggested iSimple, but it seems like there isn't one for my vehicle (2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4DR 4.3L equipped with Bose by factory) which means that I'd have to end up with the universal FM transmiter type, but I feel like quality isn't going to be great. A buddy of mine suggested this unit:

http://www.icarkits.com/cars/CHEVROL..._2001/PODGM1V6.

Any of you have expirience with it or something similar? I will not be competing, but would like the most out of the setup (3-way front with some Hybrid audio technologies Lagatia drivers.) TIA

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a 2000 Jimmy with the Bose system. My head unit is a cassette player with the remote CD changer. I would be interested in it but first I would replace my Bose Cassette with a Bose CD unit than use the Aux function for Iphone capability. My wifes Volvo Ipod adapter hooks up to the factory unit as a CD Changer. Works very well. Right now I can use a cassette adapter. But it does not charge or stop and start with the key position. This looks like good option if you want to keep the OEM head unit.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

I'm a bit confused right now. I called the place to make sure it'll work with my vehicle just to double check and they told me it won't. I even told them that there site said it will, but I just wanted to confirm and they said it won't work. They did tell me that I can purchase it and if it doesn't work they can RMA it back...

I called another manufacture by the name of iSimple and they had a unit that will work with my vehicle if my factory head unit had the "tape/AUX" button. I'll have to pull the head unit out of the storage, but for the mean time, guys with 2001 Blazer 4 door 4.3 2WD equipped with CD player and Bose by factory do you have this "tape/AUX" button option on your head unit?

If the head unit doesn't have this option I can see why the people I originally linked told me it won't work. Just thought I'd update in case any of you were going to pull the trigger on this unit assuming the guys I spoke to were correct. If they're not correct and it does work, these guys are making that company lose some cash... Until then, I'll update with my findings. Oh and the guy from the link I posted above told me that even if the head unit had the port in the back it may still not work...

Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Yes, I have the factory bose. I use the Aux button to access the CD Changer. On the Bose CD head units you have a Tape/Aux button and on the Bose Cassette Head unit you have a Tape/Aux button.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

This thing has been great for my company owned work truck. It's a 2007 Chevy 2500HD with only an AM/FM radio. Considering it's the company's truck I won't be (they don't allow it anyway) installing any aftermarket equipment.

So I got this so I could listen to my music on my phone while at work, lol. The transmitter is quite powerful and only gets staticy when the station it's tuned to is getting a very local station. The bluetooth works flawlessly, connecting as soon as the phone is within range and plays clear as a bell with no coloration, distortion or other signal changing issues. Since it can play music over the bluetooth it lets you play music off your playlist or even Pandora.

Accessory Power GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones. - Newegg.com

Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
This thing has been great for my company owned work truck. It's a 2007 Chevy 2500HD with only an AM/FM radio. Considering it's the company's truck I won't be (they don't allow it anyway) installing any aftermarket equipment.

So I got this so I could listen to my music on my phone while at work, lol. The transmitter is quite powerful and only gets staticy when the station it's tuned to is getting a very local station. The bluetooth works flawlessly, connecting as soon as the phone is within range and plays clear as a bell with no coloration, distortion or other signal changing issues. Since it can play music over the bluetooth it lets you play music off your playlist or even Pandora.

Accessory Power GOgroove FlexSMART X2 ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones. - Newegg.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really trying to steer away from these "wireless" units.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Beginning Member

Finally had a chance to pull the factory head unit out of the storage. Here are some pics. I plan to get the iSimple unit, just waiting for their reply which should be sometime next week since I emailed them a few minutes ago to confirm if it'll work or if there is some type of refund in case it wasn't to work...

Attached Thumbnails Quality of this unit to allow Apple device (iPhone4S)use with factory head unit?-front-factory-hu.jpg   Quality of this unit to allow Apple device (iPhone4S)use with factory head unit?-rear-factory-hu.jpg