Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

To all you diy audio guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To all you diy audio guys

Is there anything cool/useful I can do with an old guitar amp? Like take out the speakers and wire them up or something? Im bored and broke and need another free random project

Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: To all you diy audio guys

hmmmm I'm not really sure if that can be done.... do you mean try and use the guitar amp for like a subwoofer in the home?

If so you would have to swap the speaker out for a sub of course and it would NEED some kind of input source (computer)

I mean.... I dont see why not but it could be tough/dangerous

Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Connect a guitar to it. turn it up.and play something tilll it hurts!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:29 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

here you go, i got your back on this one. in a few easy steps, you can be living louder - Hook it to your truck. then you could even park in a parking lot and hook the guitar in. think about it.

goto radio shack (or similar store) and buy a adapter to convert the 1/4 inch input jack into a set of RCAs

next, run a 300 watt amp install kit in the truck.

connect the power wires and such to a power inverter (350 watt i'd say) and set a 12 volt relay to turn power on and off

plug guitar amp into power inverter, and rca output from head unit into the adapter on the guitar amp.

that should work, but you may want to run a crossover in there somewere in order to resist distortion.

Key note, if i recall most guitar amps run at 8 ohm. I know it was thought of before but not mentioned yet, you would not want to just hook up a lower ohm load to it if you changed out the sub.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I hooked up a CD player to my practice amp once just to hear what some acoustic song would sound like with a little distortion and I was blown away by how good the music sounded coming out of a $80 practice amp. I don't know if there's anything you can do with parts from the amp but guitar amps sound great for playing music.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Ha i've done the convertor thing and the guitar before. The amp is pretty old, ahem i mean vintage, like 70's or something so it has no effects or anything. Someone gave it to me for free when i was thinking of getting in to playing guitar awhile back. I have no use for it now and it probably isnt worth much so i have to get rid of it or do somehting with it.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:56 PM

Hahah ok i didnt think this would work but somehow it does and not bad at all. I took the 2 speakers out of the amp and wired them up to the same wire as the rear speakers, dont know if thats bad or not but they worked and were actually pretty good, nothing great but you cant go wrong with a bunch of "decent" speakers i guess. Now the problem is i gotta move them somewhere cause the wires already on them were really short so theyre just only attached to the truck by the magnets on the back (prob really bad for them too isnt it?), I dont want them attached like that but i have no choice untill i get wire because i cant get them far away from the side to not touch. So now im trying to figure out where to put them, i could take out the front speakers and put them in place of them (my front right speaker is crapping out on me anyways) but that would be kinda hard cause these are about 2.5 times bigger than the ones in there now. I could put them under the back seat but theyre too big too fit i think. i could put them somewhere in the cab i guess or i dunno im just surpised this worked at all

Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have the space I'd just put the speakers back in the amp cabinet and run the speaker wires from the headunit to the speakers independant of the amp's electronics, that way you don't have to worry about the speakers dangling by a wire and rolling around in the back of your truck.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 PM

the amp cabinet is way too big and now its pretty much destroyed. I guess i can just put them where the rear speakers are now and move those around a bit. But itd prob have to be attached by the magnet on the back still, is that gonna damage them?