Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

almost finished...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: almost finished...

i guess thats the one good thing about particle board lol...

thanks for all your help

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

:ELETED:UPLICATE POST:ELETED::

Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

would THIS be useful at all? im ordering carpet and i wanna see if i need anything else from PE. i have heard good things about box filler but idk if its useful in a sealed box

Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah, definately pick some up. Polyfil is usually only good in sealed boxes. It makes the sub think there is more airspace than there is. And it definately looks like you are short on airspace there...

Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran

the recommended min sealed volume is 1.8 ft^3 and i think its close to 2 if not a little over. how does that acousta-stuf work? absorb soundwaves from inside the box similar to more air?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

You can also buy a similar type stuffing from a fabric store or walmart and use that instead of the polyfil. Probably get it for about $2 a bag. It makes it seem like the box is bigger in airspace. Also I'd like to commend you for attempting to build your own box and learning as you go. It's about the only way to gain experience and learn. Matt0 did use T-Nuts and machine screws to hold the sub in which isn't something that too many first timers do. Pretty soon you'll be running over 5000 watts and taking out the backseats!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran

thanks man... i knew i could count on you for support

i used the t-nuts/machine screws for the sub, amp and the funky grille. i used these small wood screws for the terminal cup though. and im still trying to find a good way to mount the amp.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 AM
theonetrueapex is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really impressed with the box design. It has led me to think about more than just a generic box design. Will the custom box sound as good as a "traditional" box design?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM
BF Veteran

it sounds GREAT! im not sure how much different it would sound with a generic cube-ish box. im sure a ported cube would sound different than a ported one like mine. but mines sealed, i think a sealed box will sound like a sealed box no matter what shape it is (as long as its the same volume)...it sounds INFINITELY better than my old dual 12" subs in the crappy bandpass box they came in, but anything will sound better than them...

i havent turned it up real loud yet, i've read a few places that you need to let the sub "break in" and not just blast away at first.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

what about just a wood sealer to add strength to the particle board? Is the coating just to keep moisture out and prolong life, or is the fiber resin more to hold it together through the bass hits?

Quick Reply: almost finished...