Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 PM
sportking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternator

Im looking for a high out put alternator to run 6 100w driving lights. one thats not too pricey with good quality.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Alternator

what do you consider too pricey? Quality products cost money. Cheap products cost more money in the long run since they will break more often and will need to be replaced more often. What is your budget?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: sportking

Im looking for a high out put alternator to run 6 100w driving lights. one thats not too pricey with good quality.
If thats all youre running I dont think you'll need anything more than the stock alt...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
sportking is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah ik that....but sometimes you can find something good for not too much..im looking to not spend more than like $500

Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 PM

you can definitely find a nice HO alt for that price. Check out iraggi

Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

At what point do you need to consider a H/O alternator?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 AM

when your current alternator can not meet the demand of your electrical devices.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

haha yea....i mean how do i know when its at that point? Lets say my current electrical set up is using 80% of the max output of the stock alt, whatever that may be, is that bad or hard on the alternator? Or do I only know when i go to crank the car and it doesnt start? Lastly doesnt a straining alt take the battery with it?

Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 AM

well you should be able to add up all of the amperage of your additional devices and ad it to the stock rating. That should give you a general ballpark idea.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:41 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I can drop my voltage down to the big line between 9 and 14, just by turning on all my forward facing lights, and letting it idle for 10 seconds...

It definitely drops below 14V at idle for a minute or so with my 610W worth of driving lights... But I also have the stock AC Delco battery, and have yet to do the big 3...

Upgrade the Big 3 first, as it's significantly cheaper than a HO alt, if that doesn't help, then think about the alt...

Quick Reply: Alternator