Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:00 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
Steve meade bench tested the hifonics brutus. 1700.1 and it made over the rated power. Just putting that out there, hifonics makes good amps for the money.
The biggest problem I have with his and Tony's bench testing is that they don't list or even measure the THD when measuring the power. Sure the amp may have output more than rated power but if the signal was 100% distorted then what's the point? You can't use it like that.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I thought steves bench tester has the distortion meter on the face of it, and is tested to distortion.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 PM

I don't believe there's a readout, could be, but the distortion detection system in the AD-1 amp dyno is the exact same device as the DD-1. As it's used in the amp dyno it's not as horribly inaccurate for that purpose but it's been proven that the DD-1's system of distortion detection has faults. I will admit the AD-1 is a more affordable and reasonably accurate device for measuring amplifier power. However the fact remains that they're still testing the amplifiers output capabilities into a non reactive load which means that once you connect it to the voice coil of a driver those power measurements are immediately skewed. Now, a person will never audibly hear any difference in a few hundred watts of power so it's not like the dyno is completely wrong. The point I'm trying to make is that everyone should take ANY information from such testing with a grain of salt. These results are not real world, exactly what you're going to get when you use that amp in your setup numbers.

There's nothing wrong with using such information when researching and getting informed on the equipment you're looking at but it should never be used as a deciding factor when making a purchase. The real equipment that generates numbers and data that is irrefutable cost many many times what the AD-1 does and there are a lot of good reasons why that is.

Also, I'm not saying Hifonics doesn't make a decent budget oriented product. They do and there's a lot of people using their equipment out there with no problems. Though, it is my opinion that they overcharge for the performance they offer compared to other brands with similar specifications.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

so yea, im either going with the Rockford 1200 or SQ1200 and get a 4gauge OFC kit from a local audio dealer

Old 12-15-2013, 01:12 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I don't believe there's a readout, could be, but the distortion detection system in the AD-1 amp dyno is the exact same device as the DD-1. As it's used in the amp dyno it's not as horribly inaccurate for that purpose but it's been proven that the DD-1's system of distortion detection has faults. I will admit the AD-1 is a more affordable and reasonably accurate device for measuring amplifier power. However the fact remains that they're still testing the amplifiers output capabilities into a non reactive load which means that once you connect it to the voice coil of a driver those power measurements are immediately skewed. Now, a person will never audibly hear any difference in a few hundred watts of power so it's not like the dyno is completely wrong. The point I'm trying to make is that everyone should take ANY information from such testing with a grain of salt. These results are not real world, exactly what you're going to get when you use that amp in your setup numbers.

There's nothing wrong with using such information when researching and getting informed on the equipment you're looking at but it should never be used as a deciding factor when making a purchase. The real equipment that generates numbers and data that is irrefutable cost many many times what the AD-1 does and there are a lot of good reasons why that is.

Also, I'm not saying Hifonics doesn't make a decent budget oriented product. They do and there's a lot of people using their equipment out there with no problems. Though, it is my opinion that they overcharge for the performance they offer compared to other brands with similar specifications.
You make complete sense here. I know you were not saying hifonics was not a decent budget amp.

But I can see where you are coming from.. I mean, in all reality, testing while listening will produce the best results no matter what, I think anyways.

The way Steve does it is puts it on the amp dyno, there is no audio being played, all it shows is the wattage that the amp is outputting on the dyno, so there is no real way to hear if there is any distortion besides the 4 lights that he has on there...... which got me thinking... I think those lights are for clipping....... I cant be 100% on that at all though.

I am 100% drunk though.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Hey Alton. Can you please get me a box drawn up soon? Guys over on CACO and SMD forum are being a holes -.- and I'm about ready to build this box. Tomorrow if I can get a design from somewhere today..

Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM

I drew this up real fast from the dimensions you gave me in other discussions.

It's 3.5cuft NET tuned to 33hz with ~58sqin (3.75" X 15.5") of port area. The enclosure measures 34" W x 17" H x 19.25" D and is about as basic as one gets. If you want to do something any more elaborate such as a double baffle to flush mount the subs or anything like that it wouldn't take much to make those changes. This should do you very well for the SQ212's and most other 12's would be at home in it as well.

Have fun with the new setup!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 PM

thanks a lot alton new question
SQ 1200d for 269$
Rockford Prime 1200d 249$
SAZ1000d (used) 230$
audison SR1DK (used) 280$

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Here's how I would consider them, the order I would buy them in.

Audison
Sundown
Soundqubed
Rockford

Just my opinion.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 AM

Only thing about the sundown it only clamps 1040. And yes ik there's no audible diff but would it put more stress on it trying to give the hds212 both 600rms to total to 1200 :/

Quick Reply: which amp