Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:40 PM
catalin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: amp placement

How about on the ceiling? I had one in my 95 Jimmy years ago. Built an amp rack with a fiberglassed contour to match the lines of the roof. I covered it in matching headliner material and it looked great.
Wish I had some pictures to show but I'd have to find a way to scan them.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

your gonna be really hard pressed to find a place to hide most amps without major modification.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: FatRyan

your gonna be really hard pressed to find a place to hide most amps without major modification.
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll just have to wear it [:@]

Old 02-11-2006, 04:18 AM

if your only doing it for security purposes, there alot more you can do then hide the amp. You can tint your windows with like 1% tint. No1 will be able to see a damn thing in your truck. if you got stock tint already there, then do another layer or replace it. Also, you could get an alarm. I have a Viper XV790. It was vipers top of the line 2-way alarm/remote start just a couple years ago. Its a very good alarm. you could also simply screw/bolt the amp down to somewhere. That would make it a real pain to remove. And you can just make sure not to park in shady spots. Park in the light, or in areas with alot of people walking around, etc etc. Do you live in a bad area? i live in the suburbs, so theres really not much worry around here. but now that i got like $4g invested in my system, i decided it would just be stupid to not drop $400 for a nice alarm.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:25 AM
boochster is an unknown quantity at this point

I just mounted my amp on the passenger side wall, behind the wheel well. Top screws on the amp go into the plastic trim below the window, and the two bottom screws on the amp body go through the carpeting, into the steel panel. I had to add some wood spacers to keep the amp straight up and down 90 degrees.

Be sure to get an amp with an internal fan to help keep it cool. Also, at least in 2002, there is a common ground you can use right in the corner behind the trim, about half-way up.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:23 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with hiding amps is ventilation. Most areas that are hidden have very poor circulation of air. Well if you like to hide your amp get your windows tinted and a alarm. If the amp is small then under the seat or even in the center console but like I said if it is small. If it a med to large amp go with the side of car I would not do the box connection setup just like everyone say they can steal it easier. I new lots of theives and they will do whatever to get your stuff so basically it really doesn't matter unless you got a good alarm. Goodluck and make sure you got a good battery for a good system say Optimum.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ivannj

The problem with hiding amps is ventilation. Most areas that are hidden have very poor circulation of air. Well if you like to hide your amp get your windows tinted and a alarm. If the amp is small then under the seat or even in the center console but like I said if it is small. If it a med to large amp go with the side of car I would not do the box connection setup just like everyone say they can steal it easier. I new lots of theives and they will do whatever to get your stuff so basically it really doesn't matter unless you got a good alarm. Goodluck and make sure you got a good battery for a good system say Optimum.
Optima? lol the bat is the last thing to replace. replace the BIG 3 first, then HO alt.

but definatly make sure theres some air circulation wherever the amp is. if you choose to hide it in a not well ventilated area, then install a fan or two (computer fans work well). ive seen that done many times in false floor installs

Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

I replace all my batteries of all my cars to optimum batteries period with or with out stereo. I leave the lights on and the next day my car will still turn on damn there good.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:58 PM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I guess Im going to have to take some pictures for you. I built a false floor in the back out of plywood and 2x4s that has vents on the side and on the top and then covered it with carpet. There is no way you can tell that it houses 2 Orion HCCA 275s, an Orion HCCA 2100, and a Precision Power 2100 Power Class. Anyone that has been around a while knows that these big boys make some heat so if the need arises I plan to install some little cheap 12v fans on the sides to make a little cross current around the amps. I was kinda concerned about someone stealing the amps but more worried about losing my cargo area. Now I can still throw stuff in the back and even put my dog back there w/o any worry of him pulling wires out and starting a fire. When I have enough money to complete the system I'm going to build two easily removable slot ported boxes that will hold 2 15s each so that If I want some bass I can take 2 or if I want to knock myself silly I'll put all 4 in. Then when I go on trips or move I can take both boxes out and still have the amplifiers all wired up and tucked away out of sight and out of mind.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: ivannj

I replace all my batteries of all my cars to optimum batteries period with or with out stereo. I leave the lights on and the next day my car will still turn on damn there good.
i hope u mean optima

Quick Reply: amp placement