Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Audio Advice

Old 04-11-2010, 02:56 AM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road
Default Audio Advice

I recently installed a Pioneer unit in my Blazer, and even on stock speakers it sounds 100% better. However, as expected I'm not getting a lot of bass. Other than that, I'm really happy so I don't want to change a whole lot.

I'm not really big on installing subs in the cargo area if I can help it. I don't think that they'll benefit me because of the music I listen to. I don't listen to a lot of hip hop, most of it is rock and metal which requires bass, but the mids and highs are very important. A lot of my friends have crazy sub setups that drown out everything except the lows.

I was thinking that I might be able to put a set of high quality rear speakers that are heavy on the bass. Eventually when I have the extra money, I'd upgrade the fronts to something that is balanced. I'd really like to hear some opinions about this idea. If someone can recommend a good set of rear speakers that would be good for this that would be great too.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Bighitter is on a distinguished road

You will benefit most with the music you listen to by having a good set of component speakers that provide ample midrange/midbass. A strong front stage would be the best bet but does require more work, a small 8" or 10" in a sealed box would be good bet also.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I have similar taste in music, but add a little Jazz in as well. I have been considering a small sub, or possiblly something like a Bazooka tube, under the rear seats. You lose the flexibility of folding them down, but I never do that anyway. I can't afford a loss in cargo capacity in the rear though.

Any recommendations on speakers, amps, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I do believe I'm going with a Kenwood hu. BTW, 04 2wd 4dr.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

If you were to buy some components for up front and a pair of 6x9s for the rear(if you have a 2 door) it will provide you with some pretty good highs, mids and very little lows. the best way to achieve the lows is obviously a subwoofer. I have a 2 door with components in the fronts, no rear speakers and a 12inch sub and it sounds good but i don't use my cargo area for much more than a baseball bag though so

Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

man dont beat on 6x9's... i thought i was banging with some alpine 6x9's, then i got subs. go with components.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i'm not saying to beat on the 6x9s.. i'm just saying they'll give you some lower end if you tune them right... i installed JL 6.5 c5s in a bmw up front and amped the rear stock 6x9s and they provided the kid with the bass he was looking for but will never hit the lows of a subwoofer

Old 04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
01TruBluGT is on a distinguished road

Get a set of 4x6 plates in the dash, toss some 6" woofers in the door running with a low pass filter and see how you like it.

If that does not get it then toss an 8 or a 10 in a small sealed box in the back and call it a day. Most 8's and 10's can be built in a box less than 1 cuft. so you would really only be taking a 12 square inch space out of your cargo area.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have a small 10" infinity 200 watts. just turn down the sub level and it adds the right amount of base that you are lacking. also with a small woofer it saves your speakers from putting out a lot of base that will wear them out faster if you have the base on your speakers turned up. my woofer can pack a punch but I have it turned down most of the time. a woofer will give you the best bass even if you buy $1500 focal component speakers. Components are also very nice to have they do a great job at the highs and mids and ok on the bass. but also remember most components are $150 a pair and up. a sub box and amp you could buy for the same price. they do make all in one amp and woofers that are fairly compact if you are concerned about trunk space. What I do is when I need to load a lot of stuff I left the speaker wire to the sub long enough I can move it pretty much anywhere I need it or if I need to take it out its as easy as just pulling out the speaker wires. Also if you get a sub you don't have to get components. Full range speakers are cheaper and are still much better than stock paper cone speakers. So if you are looking to upgrade your sound quality mainly the base for not a ton of money get a small sub, and after your stock speakers start to crank and loose their quality you can get some full range speakers which are easier to install, all one piece, and cost a lot less than components.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto what Benedict said. Crutchfield.com has a 12 inch kenwood sub in a truck box on sale for about $149. So the box is long, but not very thick. lol, so behind the back seat it wouldn't take up much space, tucked up agianst the back seat. Then just get a 200-300 watt rms amp, wire it up and your set.

I understand not wanting to lose cargo area, but think. If it would fit behind the bench seat of a compact truck, would it take up much cargo space?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have a ported box which is bigger than a sealed here is how much space it takes up. and I can move it pretty much anywhere is the cargo area even with the seats down to maximize trunk space.