Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Battery or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Battery or Alternator?

Hey ladies and gents. I am having some wierd issues with my blazer. I am pretty sure that the battery is on it's way out. Seems like everytime I go to start it, the clock resets and the truck chokes a little then starts(i.e. all dash guages real dim and the voltage guage in the red). The voltage after start easily maintains 14.5 according the gauge. I have a GPS unit and Sirius plugged into the truck all the time, would this cause the battery to drain? It has only been recent that I have experienced these issues. There's really not muhc else that stays on all the time in there to drain it. Any ideas before I go nuts tearin thinks apart?

Thanks!
Chris Threlkeld.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Battery or Alternator?

Sounds like the battery. If your gauges are staying lit and your headlights are not dimming while the engine is running at idle, then it's probably not the alternator. In particular, if you're getting lower than 12 Volts at idle, then it's the alternator for sure. However, if you're saying that it's only when you start that you notice ahesitation, your battery is probably relying on your alternator for charge and when it's off it drains. Take it to a local auto store and have them test the battery. That's probably your problem. I'd do it soon though so your battery doesn't also take the alternator on its way out.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
Dohcser is an unknown quantity at this point

It probably is your battery. With the truck started disconnect the battery, if it stays on its your battery, if it shuts off its the alternator.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Battery posts/terminals producing high resistance at starting. You can easily try to clean "mirror like" the posts (that stupid type of hidden posts) and the terminals, retighten and proving after. The high consumption due to starter operationmay produce (when dirt) high resistance, then voltage drop and no spinning of the thermic engine (the engine itself). The other part of the + to - circuit is (are) the grounds, which may produce the same effect and the + terminal at the starter. If not fixed with the clean up/retight and if the batt is some 3 years old , better get a new one.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

do the gps and serious units stay on even when the vehicle is off and the key is out. they can only drain the power if they stay on when the car is off so if they turn off when the car is shut off or if they have and auto shut off of their own, then they should not drain the battery enough to be a problem.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 PM
2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point

To me it sounds like your battery. if your concerned about the sirius and GPS draining your battery, you could install a capacitor in your truck. you wouldnt need a real expensive one. but if you have the capacitor, it should take care of anything you think is draining your battery.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point

Well after some further investigation, the terminals were a little dirty. However no corrosion appeared. I took the battery out, topped up the water levels, cleaned it up really good and yea. Also the possitive terminal was jerry rigged from the previoous owner, so I put a good one on and so far so good. I'll keep y'all posted because data into the forums is always good for searches haha. Also, my GPS and Sirius and CB are connected to the cigarette lighter power so it stays on all the time. I turn it all off by hand when I leave the truck.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

a capactitor will not keep the battery from being drained caps. are for very short bursts of power when they are needed like when a sub hits. it (the sub) needs alot of energy very quickly. all of that energy still comes form the electrical system and thus the battery, so it will do nothing to prevent it from draining. it will keep your headlights from dimming when a sub hits or another device requires a sudden surge of power but that is it.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Lilcheef

Well after some further investigation, the terminals were a little dirty. However no corrosion appeared. I took the battery out, topped up the water levels, cleaned it up really good and yea. Also the possitive terminal was jerry rigged from the previoous owner, so I put a good one on and so far so good. I'll keep y'all posted because data into the forums is always good for searches haha. Also, my GPS and Sirius and CB are connected to the cigarette lighter power so it stays on all the time. I turn it all off by hand when I leave the truck.
If you turn them off, then they aren't the problem... Pretty much any battery place will test your battery for free, so you might as well just go and get it tested... It'll save you a lot of hassle down the road...

My old S10, the battery was good when I had the factory radio in... but as soon as I put my newer stereo in that had memory settings, it would drain it in about 2 hours...

Check it before it gets too bad, lol

Old 03-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Doc_G is an unknown quantity at this point

If your reading a good amperage while the truck is running I suggest checking the positive and negative connections at the terminals. You said you cleaned the terminals and replaced the positive cable connector right. That should clear up your issues. if not go get your batt. checked at autozone for free.

I highly doubt the alt. is going if your getting good volts while its running.