Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Can I Keep my factory Cassette Player?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
NCRD1331 is on a distinguished road
Default Can I Keep my factory Cassette Player?

So I've wired in my Kenwood h/u and everything works great. I was just wondering if there was any possibility that I would have some way to wire the cassette player from the console to work in this application? Or is it simply dead to me?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Do you really have that much music on cassette still that it would even remotely be worth the trouble? Honestly??

Technically, if you could find the stereo signal wires that fed the factory hu the signal from the cassette player AND your Kenwood has an AUX input on the face/rear then yes you could connect it to the Kenwood. However, two things come up. If the Kenwood doesn't have an AUX input then there's no way to get the signal into the unit, first off. Second would be the power and controls to the cassette player. If it simply needs wired to the key switched power to turn it on and all the controls are on the player then it's usable. I can't remember much at all about those, but I'm sure there's some information out there on the interwebz about what wires do what in the harness for the cassette player. Another possible issue would be the signal strength. The Kenwood's AUX input is looking for a certain range of millivolts for the input signal to work, if the signal from the cassette player is higher or lower than the range the Kenwood would need to see the signal will either be horribly distorted or it just won't get loud enough to use. Lots of things to consider.

Still, my first question again, do you REALLY have that much use for it that you need to go through the trouble?

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 07-09-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Beginning Member
NCRD1331 is on a distinguished road

Haha suppose you're right. I like things at least to be functional in the car but I guess I really don't need it. Just need to power the sucker up to get the cassette adapter out... rrr.. forgot it during the install