Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CB Radio Antenna

ok so im in the process of tryng to hook up my CB radio so i can hopefully get some warning from the truckers as to where the speed traps are on my way to and from texas. but my question is to anyone with a 2nd gen s10 blazer who has or is thinking about installing a cb radio. where in the heck did you or are you going to mount the whip? i was going to mount one on my passenger side back bumper, but its made out of plastic so it wont work.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Of course it will work. All you need are 2 ring terminals and some 14-16ga wire. (One ring terminal goes around the threaded part of the antenna (before you screw it into the mount) and the other ring terminal goes to your favorite ground. Easy and it works better than mounting it to metal.)

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM

im just concerned it will rip out at 70+ MPH

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a Wilson Magnet Mount and put it on your roof, thats what I have it works great

Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I had the same idea as you blazerguy....I want to mount mine (whenever I get it) to the read bumper corner. I was then going to have the antenna come up and strap it down/wire tie it to the roof rack. Kind of like this:

You raise a good point about the being strong enough though. I don't see why it wouldn't be...although I think the strapping it to the roof rack would help with that since it wouldn't be flopping around in the wind.
You could always get a magnetic one like mentioned above...but that means you can't go anywhere with a roof lower then 10' lol.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 AM

ill magnet mount the damn thing to the hood if i hate to lol

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

pop the corner off. stick almost anything inside and mount through the bumper end into what ever you put in there to displace any pressure put against it. (aluminum pate, thick plastic scrap, hell even a chunk of wood would work)

Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Tha'ts not a half bad idea....find something to re-inforce the corner from underneath. Good idea Curtis!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Sisk---In order to do what you're thinking of (and it's not a bad idea), you need a 102" whip. Those bend for sure, but they won't bend as nicely as you have it in your pic. They *are* metal but they *will* break. The 102" whip is meant to stand straight up. The only reason you see them tied to a roof is for "transportation". You get where you're going and you unhook it. (i.e. when you get out in the desert/rocks/etc)

In your case, your best bet might be to mount a regular fiberglass antenna to your spare tire carrier. Could be the OP could do that too but I can't tell if he's got the outside spare tire carrier. The central location helps, too and it's about as high as you're gonna get it without going to a magnetic antenna on the roof.

96chevblazer---Wilson makes a hell of a magnetic base antenna but I wouldn't trust any magnetic antenna to stick to my truck. My ex had one on the back of her Cavalier and scratched the hell out of it. We removed it everytime it was washed (which was on a regular basis) and even tried a piece of fabric under it. It would move just enough to leave little scratches.

If you're really serious about mounting a CB antenna permanently and having it look good, weld a piece of metal to the top of the spare tire carrier (for the base...keep it centered on the truck) then drill another hole next to that (for the RG8 cable). One more hole at the very end and a hole in the body hidden by the mount (at least when it's closed). Then run the cable inside the body (under/behind the interior panels) up to the CB. (BTW, Galaxy is top of the line but pricey. For the money, you can't beat Cobra. I had a Cobra 75 (all-in-one) in my Jimmy. Worked like a charm for what it was. It wasn't meant to travel miles.) Run your own cable and fit the ends once you're done. It's easier to run and it ends up being better quality. If yer gonna do something, do it right.

FWIW (and I'll shut up now ), I drove a truck for many years so I really do know what I'm talking about. I've probably spent more money on radio equipment than some of you have spent on your trucks.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

96chevblazer---Wilson makes a hell of a magnetic base antenna but I wouldn't trust any magnetic antenna to stick to my truck. My ex had one on the back of her Cavalier and scratched the hell out of it. We removed it everytime it was washed (which was on a regular basis) and even tried a piece of fabric under it. It would move just enough to leave little scratches.
I never have had that problem, When you remove it your not supposed to slide it you just lift at an angle

Quick Reply: CB Radio Antenna