Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
mhollis is on a distinguished road

Ive got the wilson lil ***** mag mount on the back of my second gen blazer and it works great. Living in florida, i know what your talking about the cops and for the people that dont live here or have never driven here they wount understand what were talking about wiht the cops. But i havent had any problems with my mag mount and the receptions is great. It still has play in it so you can go into places with low celienings without any problems. They have a relitivly low prices on amazon.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazerguy22
looks good but i dont have the center rails to my roof rack anymore
if you look it doesn't use the center rail od the roof rack its actualy a long peice of steel physically bolted to the roof rack, lol

Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biohazed
if you look it doesn't use the center rail od the roof rack its actualy a long peice of steel physically bolted to the roof rack, lol
now you see i missed that
only thing i dont like about that setup is and correct me if im wrong but i would have to drill a hole through the roof and i would much rather avoid that. i think im just gonna go with the back bumper and use a steel plate or something to reinforce it so the whip wont rip a hole through the plastic. plus i can then run the wire under the truck to the front saves me from having to hide wires under my trim since i already have a **** ton of wires running under my trim for my subs and amp

Last edited by blazerguy22; 11-03-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Monkeyman
Sisk---In order to do what you're thinking of (and it's not a bad idea), you need a 102" whip. Those bend for sure, but they won't bend as nicely as you have it in your pic. They *are* metal but they *will* break. The 102" whip is meant to stand straight up. The only reason you see them tied to a roof is for "transportation". You get where you're going and you unhook it. (i.e. when you get out in the desert/rocks/etc)

In your case, your best bet might be to mount a regular fiberglass antenna to your spare tire carrier. Could be the OP could do that too but I can't tell if he's got the outside spare tire carrier. The central location helps, too and it's about as high as you're gonna get it without going to a magnetic antenna on the roof.

96chevblazer---Wilson makes a hell of a magnetic base antenna but I wouldn't trust any magnetic antenna to stick to my truck. My ex had one on the back of her Cavalier and scratched the hell out of it. We removed it everytime it was washed (which was on a regular basis) and even tried a piece of fabric under it. It would move just enough to leave little scratches.

If you're really serious about mounting a CB antenna permanently and having it look good, weld a piece of metal to the top of the spare tire carrier (for the base...keep it centered on the truck) then drill another hole next to that (for the RG8 cable). One more hole at the very end and a hole in the body hidden by the mount (at least when it's closed). Then run the cable inside the body (under/behind the interior panels) up to the CB. (BTW, Galaxy is top of the line but pricey. For the money, you can't beat Cobra. I had a Cobra 75 (all-in-one) in my Jimmy. Worked like a charm for what it was. It wasn't meant to travel miles.) Run your own cable and fit the ends once you're done. It's easier to run and it ends up being better quality. If yer gonna do something, do it right.

FWIW (and I'll shut up now ), I drove a truck for many years so I really do know what I'm talking about. I've probably spent more money on radio equipment than some of you have spent on your trucks.
They bend pretty good if you ask me, deff not a glass antenna but once you run a SS one you won't ever like glass again

I'll agree with mag base antennas.

Not a fan of cobra unless its one of the old philly models. I run uniden.

One good radio and a good kicker will wind up costing more than some trucks. My little setup I run in the blazer (bad pic).

Uniden PC 78 elite with a few mods and a x force hd200

Last edited by neo71665; 11-04-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

neo71665---They *do* bend but not quite like Sisk showed in his Photoshop. The SS whips are meant to be stood straight up to work the best. Bend a 102" whip over and you can get the same reception as a good short antenna (Firestick, Wilson, etc). Unidens aren't bad. I just prefer Galaxys for "upper end" radios and Cobras for general use. Last CB I had in a big truck was a Galaxy 99 (wish they still made them) with um...a few mods . 1500 watt kicker, too. It was great when some a$$hat pulls along side you and won't pass or slow down. Turn on the kicker, turn up the gain and key up. Little cars' headlights dim, his stereo goes out and he slows down.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I've just never been really impressed with galaxy. I just sold my old pluto to a buddy. I miss my old grant but it died in my truck wreck. I really don't side band much so I aint ever got too involved with much more. I used to have a old texas star but this x-force blows it out the water.

Cobra hasn't been the same since they quit buying boards from uniden and went out on their own. They worry too much about flashing lights, bells, and whistles than getting it to sound and work right.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM

yes I had to drill holes. but when i did my antenna i went for optimal placement. I like Cobras but I actually have 4 CBs right now the Cobra 29 being the newest ended up in the '95. I also have a Cobra 140GTL which is about 30 years old and I use as my spare, a Tram D42 which is in for repair ATM but will find it its way into the K5 if i ever get it back, also a cheapy Audiovox which i'm probably gonna give away lol

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Some interesting info in here. I've thought about getting one myself, but am not sure how much I would use it.

I was wondering from reading some of your setups what a Kicker is?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sporty_drew
Some interesting info in here. I've thought about getting one myself, but am not sure how much I would use it.

I was wondering from reading some of your setups what a Kicker is?
well we call them foot warmers ... but the are a linear box for your CB gives you alot more range than normal... think of it as an amplifier for you CB lol

Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Okay, linear box is a term I understand.

I guess being that this is a cb thread I might ask what you guys would recommend for us that just want something nice enough for what we will do with it. I'm not all to sure what to look for in a radio and don't want to be sucked into the "looks".

Quick Reply: CB Radio Antenna