Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Changing 02 Blazer LS din/half to dbl for OEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member
skygodtj is on a distinguished road
Default Changing 02 Blazer LS din/half to dbl for OEM

Ok, overhead console Temp/Compass to Trip Computer done, the compass shows C (not CAL), so thats another fix to work on.. but for now, it's time to get the tuneage goin'..

Early 2002 Blazer LS (Oct '01 build) with the 15071662, AM/FM/CD, got a 15091317 AM/FM/CD/Cass/RDS, nicely refurbbed for $49 to go in it.. the -1662 is a 1.5din, the -1317 is a double din.. (it was an option for my VIN). I discovered, yeah, 'need a new DD console/bezel.. the RPO code said UNO, I will need a ULA (CTF) bezel.. Only 3 DD bezels on eBay right now (drk grey, tan and a spotted pewter, $135-$165), and I remember not seeing a single DD in the parts yards when looking for the DIC either.. woohoo, found one on eBay.. not cheap, but not real expensive. and not a single one in four parts yards in Phoenix.

To swap bezels, other than centering the radio, will the AC panel have to be moved too? I trimmed the back brace for the old radio as the new radio sticks a little lower.. The newer radio is narrower than the old, so I'm thinking I'll have to add a DD kit to provide a landing for the side mounting screws. Anyone else done a OEM swap in a 2000 or up?

TJ

Last edited by skygodtj; 05-02-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Beginning Member

Update:

Bravada console arrived today.. A/C panel didnt have to get moved lower, but the DD radio had to be raised against the upper box frame (vent floor).

There were no pads for the DD radio screws so I had to cut a vertical slot in the dash's radio box for the left tab to slide into, securing the left side, and a screw/bolt for the right side. I inserted the radio into the cutout, slid it to the left (tab into the slot) marked the radio box where I could drill for the right screw.

The new radio is deeper from the mounting tabs on sides to front edge of radio, adjusting the depth of the slot farther aft (making it snug with the console) was not possible so the radio now sits 1/2" deeper but it still looks oem. The console snapped into place. The Bravada headlight sw pad also had a fog lamp switch, so the dead plug behind my old light sw now has a home, I will add the foglamps later.

Now I just have to get the radio to power on: https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-...roubles-70413/

Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Beginning Member

Bezel swapped for '02 Bravada DD bezel.. had to cut off the plastic radio support on the rear of the box so the DD radio would fit, and drill a hole for the right side mounting screw pad.

It looks OEM, which is what I wanted. Now, if I can just get it to turn on...

Attached Thumbnails Changing 02 Blazer LS din/half to dbl for OEM-mod_in_place.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
Joshua1023 is on a distinguished road

Nice,,,, so no mounting kit needed?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I didnt use one as the radio box wasnt a ULA/CTF style, a mounting kit probably would not have worked. The original radio/cd had tabs thru which screws fixed it to the radio box. The new deck is a bit narrower, and the tabs are lower than the original ones, also were a lil farther back, bringing the front of the radio out more.. so just running screws onto the same side rails with a kit wasnt going to work. I had to cut slots a lil deeper in the sides (towards the front of the truck) for those tabs so the front wouldnt protrude and the bezel would be flush.

I'm hatin' Life because I still cant get this to power on. I can tell what time it is.. but I'm getting tired of my own voice singing..

Last edited by skygodtj; 06-10-2012 at 09:47 AM.