Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

clueless

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default clueless

so yeah title says it all I can wrench all day long, build houses and design a 4 building 700+ workstation network but I have not the slightest clue what i'm doing when it comes to setting up a system in my truck (I have installed aftermarket stereos several times in different vehicles so I do understand ground, constant power, switched power concepts) heck I even used to build wiring harnesses for semi trucks and RTA buses so I know how to do all that it's just figuring out what will work best with the space/speakers I have that's an issue
anyways now that you know where my abilities (or lack thereof) lay... today a friend asked me to replace a broken brake line on his silverado sure no problem, when im done he gives me 2 brand spanking new (boxes were still factory sealed)

box I have no doubt I can build utilizing one or the other of the box design websites i've seen linked in here but not sure if i'd be better off with a seperate box for each sub (to keep em tucked as far outta the way as possible) or just one bigger box for both. and ported/sealed which would you suggest? don't care about big bass just want a nice clean sound when I turn the volume up.(keep in mind we have 5 kids we haul around and need to keep as much free space as possible so well i dunno lol. like i said i'm clueless on this stuff.(this will be going into the 4 door '94 blazer if that matters any)here's a scanned copy of the info that was in the box with the subs (mine are the HED-8DVC)

before I even start looking at amps i'd like to have some clue what i'm looking for.
well, hope I made enough sense that the resident guru's know what kinda info i'm looking for if this wasnt clear enough ask and i'll do my best to clarify so I can get the answers I need.thank you in advance.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: clueless

Those look like some nice littel subs. And 8" driver with that low of a resonant frequency is pretty rare. They would definately do nicely in a 1 cubic foot ported enclosure. if you want to take up less space you can go sealed. It wont be as loud, but you will geta little more punch and reach some higher frequencies.But my reccomendation is 1cubic foot net volume with ~12sqaure inches of port tuned to 37Hz. Or .75 sealed stuffed with polyfil...If you go ported make them utilizr the same airspace, if you go sealed use a divider between them to split the airspace...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Well, if you are looking for nice clean bass, go sealed. looking at the specs, i would shoot for about 1.1 cubic feet for both subs in one box. you can play with dimensions as much as you want. just make sure you get the volume right. length x width x height all divided by 1728. Make sure that you include the thickness of the wood.. 1/2 inch mdf would probably be fine with the amount of power you will be running.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Yea, what he said. beat me to it.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 PM

ok my eyes starting to hurt from all the reading trying to get a grasp on this, the specs say 4 ohms/coil so depending which wiring configuration i end up with (looking here http://rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wo...p;woofer_imp=4) if I understand this right i can run an amp at 1ohm (option 1) or 4ohm (option 2) is that right? heh told you i'm clueless here lol.
yah i know i still need a box first but trying to understand all the qes, qms,qts etc etc on those box design programs was givin me a headache maybe i'll just pay cloak to make me one after all lol. I loathe doing things twice i'd rather go the extra step to make sure it's done right the first time. one more question, b4 i go looking at amps any particular brands i should avoid (besides xplod i know they suck im not that clueless) i'd rather pay more for good quality that will last a long time than cheap out and be buying it again in a few months.
again, thanks for all your help I appreciate it.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 AM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

THIS is a nice amp for the price that would work perfect with those subs. Its going to give you anywhere from 350-400w at 4ohms...

Old 02-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Ok I know this thread is a year old (sorry for the resurrection but figured this was better than another thread on the same thing) but since I just got a new head unit and replaced the factory speakers it's time to stop procrastinating, the amp that cloak linked is no longer available so suggestions on amps and someone that knows what they are doing can you hook me up with some enclosure specs please? (I can build it but I get a headache trying to design the darn thing) The following is what I am leaning towards:
ORIGINAL: cloak01ls

my reccomendation is 1cubic foot net volume with ~12sqaure inches of port tuned to 37Hz.If you go ported make them utilizr the same airspace, if you go sealed use a divider between them to split the airspace...
(I trust and value the opinions of Cloak and hillbillyinohio) but that does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that other opinions are not welcome. I won't even begin to claim I know audio so please give me your best shot (These speakers were free so that's what im going with) I dont need big and loud I dont intend to compete I just want clean sound for my music (with more oomph than just a head unit can offer), If it matters any I listen mostly to metal (ozzy, metallica, dream theater and the like)

As always thanks for the help.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

You will want an amp that will do something in the 300watt range at either 1Ω or 4Ω. Are you going to be ordering it online, or do you want to get it locally? Also for the box I would suggest going sealed. You can make the dimensions what ever you want as long as you get about 0.75ft. I used this link and this you can play around with to get it to fit where you want.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Online, local it doesnt really matter I just dont want some piece of garbage that will die and need replaced in a short period of time once I have a better idea what to look for ill check online and local to see where i can find the best deal. And btw a google search on those subs took me to a cerwin vega site that said they were 4ohm per voice coil (dual voice coil on the ones I have) dunno if that matters but figure i'll supply all the info i can to make sure i get proper recomendations, thanks for the reply.