Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dash removal for stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dash removal for stereo install

Installing on a 2001 GMC Jimmy, the only screws I see are (2) below the steering wheel. Are these all I have to unscrew before 'popping' the dash bezel off?

Old 03-18-2007, 04:32 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dash removal for stereo install

Remove the 4screws holding the lower left I/p extension on and it will drop slightly (the left closeout panel and park brake release handle will still be attatched to it. Once it is lowered you will see the 2 screws that hold the I/P trim plate on remove those and then there is one more in the middle of the cluster trim directly above the steering column. Then just pull outward and release the clips all the way around and disconnect the switches (rear wiper and passenger air bag).

Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

dont forget to disconnect the headlight switch and the 4x4 switch (if equipped) and watch out for the emergency flasher button... they are expensive...lol after that theres just 2 screws that hold in the stock stereo... unscrew, remove, unplug and you are done... have fun!!!

oh yeah... it will be alot easier if you turn the key on and pull the shifter down to first if you have column shifter..... dont forget to unhook the negative battery cable....... itll make the process a bit safer...lol

Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 PM

lol thanks for the tips yea, I have a headlight and 4x4 switch to unplug, forgot about those

Old 03-18-2007, 08:51 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The headlight switch is the annoying one to do... The rest are peanuts!