Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo and dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
JugglaLee is on a distinguished road
Default Stereo and dash removal

My 87 blazer k5 has a pioneer stereo in it(there when i bought it) and the speeker wires r loose. im trying to remove that from the dash so i can rewire the front and rear speakers and replace them. deck seems stuck? also how do i get the top dash off to replace the stock 3.5 speakers?(hard to hack in larger ones?)

really dont wanna cruise around without some tunes!!!

Thanks!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Aftermarket stereos typically have release tools that get pushed in along either side of the stereo after removing the surrounding trim bezel. Then the stereo will slide out of the carrier that was mounted into the dash.

But I don't believe that applies to the stereos with the tuner/volume ***** like the original stereo the truck was equiped with. On those types, there are nuts behind the volume & tuner ***** that mount the stereo into the dash.

Knowing what you have would give us more info to help you better.

As far as removing the dash, there are a bunch of screws where the padded dash meets the metal lower dash as well as where the gauge cluster bezel meets the padded dash. Feel along these edges and remove all of the screws you find. The padded dash will then pull towards the rear after lifting up slightly to clear the gauge cluster bezel.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Beat me to it^^

To get the stereo out you'll need the release keys, just insert them on the sides of the radio and pull it right out.
Should be able to get them at your local parts store, Walmart, Best buy, and I've seen em on Ebay for about $1.00.

Looks like this.

Last edited by DySfUnCtIoNaL; 03-31-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

butter knives.

do you think crack addicted stereo thieves have ebay tools? lol another option is to take the dash apart till you can see the mount for the stereo (the plastic part of your truck that the deck is stuck to) and unscrew that.

also be sure to reach up behind the deck, depending on how old it is, there might be a nut on the back of it holding it in. (ive seen this a very few times, mind you ive also seen decks that are completely removable and leave nothing in the car worth stealing! hahaha oooooooooold school!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
JugglaLee is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

I got the dash off (thanks!) and put 4x6's in the front to replace the stock 3.5" ones. I gotta rewire the whole stereo cause it looks like he did a rush job and connected all the wires with just electrical tape so the speakers keep cutting out over bumps.

Going to walmart tomarrow and check for those release keys (ill try the butterknifes first!). Putting 6" rounds in the back this weekend also... the speakers were unused stock ones from my fathers 05 silverado, free and not completely paper!

Luckily those crack addicted stereo thieves dont look twice at my blazer...