Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Do I go dual 1ohm or 2ohm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Default Do I go dual 1ohm or 2ohm?

So I think I've decided that when I get some cash in about a month I'm going to be getting a Fi SP415 for my cobalt. Here's the thing, I won't have the $$ for a new amp to fully push it for probably quite awhile. The amp I have now is a alpine b1000 (maybe?) What I do know is it will do 600w RMS at 4ohm and the full 1000w RMS at 2ohm. Not 1ohm stable. So the plan is to get the sub (and probably a HO alt as well) and run what I have until I can get the new amp to push the sub. The amp I want is a sundown SAZ-3500 V.2, but it runs the power I want at 1ohm. So there's the question, do I go with a dual 1 and have the 1000w now, but not the 3000w later? Or go with the dual 2 and only have the 600w until I can get the amp? Or is there a good amp out there that can do 3000w at .5ohm for a reasonable price, say up to about $1500?

Or I've also read that the SA amp can actually do .5ohm, but it's not warrantied. Thoughts?

Last edited by Thogert; 08-08-2013 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I would highly suggest not running any amp at 1/2 an ohm. Electrically even 4 ohm isn't that far from a dead short, running something at 1/2 ohm is just that much harder on the electronics inside the amp. It generates an unhealthy amount of heat and can cause distortions in the signal due to the stress caused in the FET's. It's just not worth what little gain you get from it. Order the sub with D2's and run it at 4 ohms on the Alpine until you get the Sundown. Then just rewire for 1 ohm and go crazy! lol

I'm not sure what kind of experience you have with subs as powerful as the SP4 but be certain you build that box strong enough that a tank could run it over without damaging it. I've known several people who upgraded to the SP4's and BTL's who built their box like they were building it for a pair of 12's. No bracing, no double baffle, no reinforcement of any kind and it didn't take long at all for the sub to tear the enclosure apart and for a couple of them that spelled disaster for the sub as well. The sudden giant leak in the box and it stopped controlling the cone movement, then BOOM they were mechanically destroyed. That's going to be A LOT of weight in the back of that little car. I feel sorry for it already, lol.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I think I'll be having someone build the box, as I've never built one myself and I know the stresses that are involved with that kind of air pressure / movement.

The problem I see is the height restriction I have. If I recall, my box now (cheapo) is 16.5 in tall and that's the dead max without heavy modification to the back seat opening. I guess I'll be doing some more research on box limits and what's all involved to see if it's even possible to get a HD box into my little econo-box.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM

The enclosure for that SP4-15 will be extremely heavy too. If you want great output and good sound a BL or maybe an XCON would be a little better fit. The enclosure would still need to be stout, but not like it would for the SP4. You wouldn't need nearly as big an amplifier (easier on the electrical) and you'll still get TONS of output from either choice. Or perhaps either one of those in a 12, with the proper enclosure, could satisfy your output needs and have a much easier enclosure to handle, plus lighter. It's amazing how much output you can get from a good 12 in a big efficient enclosure.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran

Yeah I've been thinking of maybe not going so big. I'd love to, but that crap starts costing a lot of $$ when you go into stuff like that. Not to mention I don't think I'd turn it all the way up very often. Maybe I'll just find something for the 1000w my current amp can do and build a box that won't have my a** dragging on the ground when I hit a bump.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 AM

Yeah it's real expensive real quick when you want to start getting that big. Not only is that amp and sub extremely expensive but the electrical backbone it takes to run that amp right costs an enourmous amount of money. You'd had to have spent somewhere close to an additional $400 to $500 for an alternator to feed it plus at least two good and big additional batteries to help keep it satisfied. Not to mention all the runs of 1/0 gauge wire to hook all that up. By the time it was all said and done, if you did it right, you'd have around $3k just in the amp, sub and everything it took install and run it.

Staying in the 1kw realm keeps things much simpler and quite honestly can get you right up there close in output. Again, a 12 would be easier to build a box for and fit in the trunk of the car but if you wanted to keep to a 15 theres plenty of good ones to choose from. Right off the bat, since you were considering an SP4 is the Fi SSD series. A little more economical than the Q, BL, BTL or SP4 it's rated right at 1kw and have proven themselves very well over the years. Another couple of American built subs that would fall well into the realm of what you're seeking are the Incriminator Audio Flatlyne and Death Row series subs. Both would be right at home on 1kw and are beloved by the folks who use them. I haven't had any personal experience with any of the IA subs but the 187 series (discontinued) but that little 300w sub was a monster in it's own rights. I can only imagine the rest of their lines are even more impressive. To list a couple more I would highly suggest the SSA GCON or ICON. Either one would perform flawlessly on 1kw and I'm sure they would impress you on how good they sound. I recently sold an ICON 15 to a guy locally and even on his cheapo Power Acoustik crap of an amp the thing gets quite loud and sounds good doing it. When he finally gets a good amp it's going to seem like he unleashed King Kong in the back of his Pathfinder. One more I'd like to mention is the Ascendant Audio Chaos series. AA is Scott Atwell's (owner of AA and Fi) brick and mortar brand, or the brand that is sold through licensed dealers where Fi is online only. AA is exactly the same as Fi as far as quality and durability are concerned. Fi, AA, and SSA along with a couple other brands out there are all built in the same build house in Las Vegas so a person can count on the same quality from the others as they have and can in Fi.

It really just comes down to just what you want to spend, you're not going to go wrong with any of those. Once you've made a decision on which one to get if you want a good enclosure design that fits your car just let me know. I'll get some measurements from you and design you an enclosure that has your new sub performing like no other you've owned before.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran

I've heard great things from this site about Sundown, what do you think? I was interested in seeing if I could get a X 12 or 15. While I love how a 15 looks, I suppose it would make it 10x easier to fit a 12 in the trunk.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

I am a sundown rep as well as a Excessive Amperage high output alternator rep. If you need help with any products feel free to message me.

I ran my old SAZ-3500 at .25ohm daily on 4 12s but I had plenty of battery backup. They amps will run at the impedance but if you do not have the experience in running below 1ohm I would not suggest it.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 AM
BF Veteran

Ahh, I'm sure I'll hit you up in a month or so when I have the extra cash.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Thogert
Ahh, I'm sure I'll hit you up in a month or so when I have the extra cash.
Just shoot me a message bro. Ill get you taken care of