Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Suggestions for speaker combos for best sound.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 AM
Horton is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for speaker combos for best sound.

So recently I purchased a set of Incriminator Audio 6.5 comps and a Precision Power S760.4 amp. Wired them all up yesterday but did some odd stuff as I got lazy at the end of the install. Left my rear Pioneer 6.5 coax's 50w rms speakers wired to the H/U as wll as my stock in-dash tweets. When I was finished amping the system my buddy tells me I can use his two Kenwood kfc-w112 subs til I get my new ones. So I unwired the Incriminator comps and bridged the 4 channels to the 12's. Butb this isn't what I want because the comps are nice speakers and ai want to hear em. So I have a couple questions about possible set ups to run all of the speakers and/or best combo.

Specs
-------------------------
PPI S760.4 / 4ohms-130W x 4
2ohms-190W x 4
Bridged- 390W x 2

1 Pair Incriminator 6.5 Components
85W RMS @ 4ohms

1 pair Pioneer 6.5s coax speakers
50W RMS @ 4ohms

2 12" Kenwood KFC-W112
200W RMS @ 8ohms

1 Pair stock tweets in dash 97 Chevy Blazer.
Probably 20 rms

H/U. Clarion CZ-702
3 sets rca outs/ 20W RMS x 4channels

So with that info i ask questions. Can I wire a comp and a sub together on each of the 2 channels in bridged mode ? And if so what would each speaker and sub be getting as far as power?

Need some advice for some kinda setup wiring advice to get the best sound out of what I got right now. Like wire what speaker / speakers to which item for power ( H/U or amp) in a series or in parallel together or seperate for best power and sound. Also what each speaker would get RMS in each scenario. I ask this because I got the amp set up but keptn putting it into protect because I was wiring it wrong to get loudest sound. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Horton; 08-18-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

You sure don't want to hook up the components and the subs together to each of the two channels in bridged mode. First of all it wouldn't sound good because the subs would be trying to play treble frequencies because they wouldn't be filtered. Second of all those kinds of frequencies can be damaging to a sub because they create heat in the coil. Third the mids of the components would be trying to play sub bass frequencies. Not a good combination.

One of two things would be the best to do for now, either run the components on the HU and keep the subs on the amp bridged. Or hook the components up to the amp stereo, then connect the subs to the remaining channels bridged and wired in series to 8 ohms. No matter what it's kind of a raw deal because you'll be a little low on power to either the components or the subs. If it was me I would hook the components up to the amp on the first two channels and then bridge the last two to the subs. I'd rather have the power on the components for good clear highs and stronger midbass personally.

Also, you said you had the factory tweeters still hooked up, why? They sound like complete garbage compared to the ones that came with the component set AND having them connected as well will ruin the sound stage and imaging. Where did you mount the tweeters that came with the component set? I kinda hope you haven't permanently mounted them yet as it takes time to find the best location for them. The very best thing you can do is connect several feet of extra wire to them and use double sided tape, duct tape, etc. to stick them in a location and listen. See how it sounds, then move them to another location and listen to them for awhile there. It takes time but it's worth it in the end because when you find that sweet spot where they blend the best with the mids and the stage and imaging are high and wide it'll bring a BIG smile to your face.