Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Do not buy streetwires ground terminals!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:55 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do not buy streetwires ground terminals!

I thought I would share my experience incase anyone else thought about these things. It's a metal terminal that you put your ground wire from your amp in and it mounts with three screws. Crutchfield states you can mount it to speaker boxes, amp racks or any other surface and it will ground the amp.

I picked one up and thought I could ground off on the speakerbox and clean up the wiring. I mounted to the speakerbox and got alternator whine. Didn't have any problems before with a crimp on ring end grounded to the back floor of the cargo area. Well I moved the terminal to the same plase I had the crimp on terminal and still got allternator whine. Bare metal and got engine bay noise. So I went back to the crimp on end and wola! No noise.

I put a picture at the end of the post to see the terminal I'm talking about.

I tried everything and this thing will not ground properly. Don't waste your money, I fought this thing for about 2 weeks. Not trying to get all preachy, I just don't want anyone else to waste thier money on this product.

Attached Thumbnails Do not buy streetwires ground terminals!-263-623_l.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

you cant ground to a speaker box! a ground has to go to bare metal. I do agree that these terminals are a waste of money. It is just added resistance for your ground which is the opposite of what you want. I put these in the same category as capacitors.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

This reminds me of the Tornado Fuel Saver, its just too good to be true.. Your ground needs to be one bare metal not to a speakerbox

Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Somebody needs electrical theory explained to them.

To put it simply carpet, wood, plywood, MDF are all insulators and will not easily conduct electricity. For your electrical items to work they must have positive power and a return path (your ground or negative). Grounding to anything non conductive or not tied to the negative battery post (in a 12V neg ground system like your truck) is just like using rope to run the power cables.

Also the high dollar, pretty set screw fittings are about the worst thing you can do for power wires. The best is the ugly copper solder on eyes you can get cheap as crap at a welding supply shop.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I know about how to do it properly. I had it grounded to bare metal, sanded the paint off. It was working fine, then I saw this terminal and let my eyes override my mind. I know you can't ground to something like wood, I was just a moron that bought the snake oil and don't want anyone else to do the same.
Actually went to advance auto and got a 2gauge ring terminal they had in the battery section. Soldered it on and electrical wrapped it to clean it up some and the sound is crystal clear!