Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

enclosure carpet

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: enclosure carpet

ORIGINAL: cloak01ls

I would advise against Vinyl as a beginner. Its about 10x harder than carpet because it doesnt hardly stretch,
you are using the wrong vinyl then.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/al4stvi.html
^^^^this stuff stretches like crazy. Even the highest quality vinyl that joann fabrics sells is very stetchy.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

My Vinyl works just fine...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

how do you get the raised letters like that? it would be cool to do but i doubt it would show up very well with carpet

Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

there are two shops over by my school that i havent been to yet and i im gonna try and stop by tomorrow and see if they will sell me some. one shop said they would carpet it for me for $40 including carpet. i may do that because it would be easier and would probably look better.

i thought it was a little strange that they wouldnt sell any to me. i figured at a place like that, you wouldnt want to **** off any customers. i figured word-of-mouth is the way they get customers and make money
Find a local upholstry shop. That is where I get all my oddball carpet and vinyl and headliner material. Ask your big chain local audio shops which local upholstry shop they get all their carpet from.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM

how do you get the raised letters like that? it would be cool to do but i doubt it would show up very well with carpet
cut out the logo or shape that you want in a piece of carpet or vinyl and carpet/vinyl over it. Make sure you are using contact cement for a good bond.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 AM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do raised lettering in carpet you just have to use a thicker material so that it shows up. Nothing will show up on trunk liner material (which is the charcoal peppered color that you find in most, you guessed it, trunks!)...But if you are using a solid-colored carpet then you can just cut your lettering out of 1/4" mdf and then staple or glue it to your box before carpeting. When you carpet over that piece just make sure to use a little extra glue and work it into the cracks with a nylon tool or bluntly-sharp object so that the lettering stands out and the carpet does not start to raise later on making your lettering look like junk...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: bobditts

... Even the highest quality vinyl that joann fabrics sells is very stetchy.
there isa joann fabrics near my house, i didnt think about checking there. i havent tried best buy or circuit city yet. i have never seen a person working in the car audio section at CC so i have given up on going there for questions.

i hadnt even thought about upholstry shops either... i guess i thought there was a special carpet or something but, i guess not. im gonna try a few more places tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Futureshop/Best Buy/Circuit City tend to not sell you any individual pieces for what you need...

Though, my Futureshop has to be the worst... Guy wouldn't sell me the wiring harness for a stereo without them installing it for me...

But that's a damned nice little video... definitely bookmarking that one!