Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

replacing bose system

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
DLslotster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacing bose system

[align=left]I'm looking to replace my Bose/Delco headunit and all 6 speakers in my '00 4dr. The guys at the shop said there is a lot of rewiring involved due to the stock xovers, amps, etc. I just read online that I can simply bypass the amps and wire directly to my new speakers. Has anyone done this before and is it really that much of a pain? Also wondering if I will need a special headunit harness for temp, chime, etc. Any input would be appreciated!
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: replacing bose system

shouldnt need a special harness, 70-2009, a 40 gm10 and whatever dash kit you decide on. You will need to run speaker wire from the new HU to all of the speakers, but not hard by any means. pretty easy from my perspective, but i've been doing this as a living for a long time.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM

[align=left]Running new wire from the HU to all the speakers doesn't sound like fun...
Thanks for the info!
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

really not that hard. pop off the dash speaker covers, poke a hanger down through opening and get on each side of the dash. The door jamb boots are pretty easy to get off, hardest will be the back speakers.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:05 PM
metalheadgoalie is an unknown quantity at this point

this is kinda off the subject of replacing the speakers, but if i replaced the headunit with something like a pioneer avic z-1, would that mean any extra work because I have the factory installed bose system?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Administrator

just make sure that you turn on the factory amp(in aftermarket harness, will be blue wire) hook it up to the blue/white on the Z.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey if your factory bose front door speakers arent blown i'd love to take them off your hands, im not planning on doing door speakers anytime soon and i'd like to replace my blown pass. door woofer...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey if your factory bose front door speakers arent blown i'd love to take them off your hands, im not planning on doing door speakers anytime soon and i'd like to replace my blown pass. door woofer...

Either the speaker or the amp is f-ed up. the front speakers would randomly cut in and out and crackle. You're welcome to try it tho.

By the way.. finished installing everything. I thought it was a pain is the **** but this was only my third stereo install and first time running all new speaker wiring. It was worth it tho. Sounds amazing and my subs sound 10x better with the aftermarket HU. Thanks for the advice.