Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Enclosure design ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Enclosure design ideas

inductance is basically when current changes and an electromagnetic force oposes the change. so when a copper wire wound around a magnet is charged positive or negative it moves either iteslf or the magnet or creates heat or a combo of all 3. same way an electric motor works. so if you have a 12" subwoofer and a 10" subwoofer with the same size voice coil then the 10" subwoofer is going to be able to act quicker, respond faster, etc. because it requires less force to be moved due to airr resistannce and weight of the cone assuming both cones are the same material. the 12" sub has a cone surface area of about 120-130 in sq. a 10" sub has a surface are of 85-90 in sq. about a 40% difference. i know a little bit about it. i also have real life experience with listenging to subs in the same type of enclosure different sizes etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
The A Team is an unknown quantity at this point

Vin i have some reading for you to do. I hope this clears up most peoples misunderstanding of transient response. Its a good read and very informative highly recommend everyone reads this.

http://web.archive.org/web/200505280...ooferSpeed.pdf

Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM

it says right there the bigger the inductor (the voice coil in a speaker) the longer it takes to change the direction and value of the current. and it alsotalks about newton's 2nd lawf=ma. smaller mass for the same power equals faster acceleration. what did i miss?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got 2 12" rockford p3's in a ported box with a 1300 wat sony amp facing the rear window at a little of a angle and they sound unbilevable

Old 12-06-2008, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: vin791

it says right there the bigger the inductor (the voice coil in a speaker) the longer it takes to change the direction and value of the current. and it alsotalks about newton's 2nd lawf=ma. smaller mass for the same power equals faster acceleration. what did i miss?
I suggest you read this again. lol

Old 12-06-2008, 06:02 PM

yeah right that was boring enough once. lol

Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Ok then just re-read the first two paragraphs. It blatantly states your mind set is incorrect.
Now if you want to become more knowledgeable no matter how boring i suggest you read it in its entirety and i hope you are smart enough to understand.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Enough of that junk. Work on jimbo!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

Enough of that junk. Work on jimbo!
Works was done on it today, the box is nearly torn down just need to remove all my speaker terminal studs from the back wall and smooth it out then i can begin the rebuild. Had a small upset today with the passing of my cat of 17 years this morning. And now im just trying to make the world a better place.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear that man, it can be tough that's for sure. Looking forward to headway on it and it should be quite nice. Did you ever tell just how many subs you are going to go with, or is it a surprise?

Quick Reply: Enclosure design ideas